Vicious Chick - Nasty

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Birch Run Farm, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I've got 50 near month old red stars and the 'free exotic' chick is an EE. Yesterday I noticed the EE chick was deliberately attacking the others, singling one at a time out and launching a brutal attack. Several times I saw it go for eyes or the head. The other chicks appear to be confused at this aggressive behavior. So am I.

I watched it for awhile and saw this was a routine. Not a once off thing. I removed it and put it in a crate where I have a 2.5 month old araucana pullet. She being much bigger more than likely would not be a target. And this is the case, the chick just sat on its butt ignoring her. I left it with her over night and all are fine this morning even though it has no heat lamp with the pullet.

I am assuming this EE chick is going to be a cockerel but I can't say I have ever seen chicks, even cockerels, show such aggression at an early age like this. I am wondering if I should cull it?

2. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    The only time I have culled a hen was for aggression and outright sneak attacks. It turned out to be the best decision for the rest of the flock. Good luck.

3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Out of my 10 chicks I had one with a mean bratty attitude. A friend of mine who lives in the country and lets her chickens range happened to have a silkie cross hen that was broody. The chick was 3 weeks old at the time, so we didn't know if she would take her. But, sure enough, when my friend snuck that chick under her at night the silkie woke up as an ecstatic proud mommy [​IMG]. Bear in mind that the EE chick was bigger than even all the other chicks I had. After giving the chick away the entire attitude of my flock changed and became much happier. My friend named the chick Bratworst (as I called her my worst brat) turned out to be a hen, and is happy as can be. She also is no longer a bully, as she was the only chick at my friend's house.

So, it can work out for everyone when the bully is rehomed. But, there is also a chance that your little chick-with-attitude will outgrow her evil-ness. It just depends. It could be that because there were 50 chicks so she feels she needs to work that much harder to be head hen.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Of my last hatch,so far we have one that is bigger and more of a bully. I am tending to think its a roo...

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'd leave it with the older one while the other little ones get their pecking order back together. Give it a few days, then put the naughty one back with the young ones. If it goes right back at it, I don't know what to tell you. [​IMG] Culling at that point might be your best option.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Thanks all, here is an update. The older chick was happy to allow the small bully under her wings and at mid day I put the EE chick back with the others. It seemed fine but I will keep an eye on things, its behavior was startling. Last look all were laying together happy.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oh good! Hopefully it learned it's lesson!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by