vicious pitt bull

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sundance, Jun 12, 2008.

1. As most of you on this forum know I have a pit bulldog I think is perfect .well Yesterday, I was sitting outside watching my chicks free range and enjoying the cool air, when my GGD came running down the road to my house. All the chickens were in the road, including the roo, My Great dane ran to meet cristen, and the roo jumped her, she just shook him off and keep going, Well my pitt wanted to see cristen to so she ran after the dane,since the roo couldn't scare Rasha, he jumped on my pitt, and flogged the daylights out of her,Mia turned and came running back to me and lay down and looked at me so pitiful,Which I think bears our what I have said all the time IT'S THE OWNER, NOT THE DOG. [​IMG] marrie

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Oooh... poor baby [​IMG] Rooster attacks are no fun! Especially for big ole babies [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am always glad to hear nice stories about pits. We just got a new dog last week who is a pit mix. She is the sweetest thing but she does like to go after small animals. I am a bit unsure about taking her to the dog park in case she thinks one of the little yappers is something worthy of chasing and catching. But just look at this face... who could resist it?:
    [​IMG]

4. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    She looks like American Bulldog to me. There is a difference. I agree it is the owner, not the dog.
    [​IMG]
    My American Bulldog, Rosco

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I have been wondering if she is part American Bulldog. Her muzzle is too long and flat to be pure AB, but I do think she might be a mix of it. Who knows, maybe she isn't pit at all...

7. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

8. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    i also agree that it is the owner and not the dog. most pitts that i have encountered have been sweet, friendly dogs, and who can resist that smile! someday, when i have the means, i plan to rescue one not only to appreciate the breed, but also to prove to my parents that they aren't all bad.

Just Hatched: she is super cute for sure! If I were you I would get her to the dog park as soon as possible. She appears to get along with your other dog just fine (I saw your other pictures) and dog aggression only gets worse as dogs get older and lack socialization. You could also try her out if you have any friends with smaller dogs and see how she does with them. This would be a more controlled environment and you could correct her immediately if she got too rough, although little dogs tend to do their own correcting I can understand your fear of her getting over excited or something. Since she is a rescue (way to go!) you don't really know how well socialized she is, so it is very important to get her out there. I think that taking our dog to the park from a very early age was one of the best things we ever did for him. He is totally non aggressive and plays well with dogs of all sizes, which is good since he is 70 pounds himself! Anyway, this is getting too long, and off topic, but she is adorable, and I love american bulldogs as well and could see her possibly having some of that in the mix.

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I totally agree with early socialization being the best thing. We are waiting on the dog park for at least another week because she was just spayed last week (it has been really tough keeping her and our other dog from playing too rough). I wish I knew someone who had a little dog for her to meet, but I seem to only be friends with big dog owners, lol.

I have personally never met a pit who caused any problems with other dogs or humans. Of course I know it happens, but I think people need to realize there are plenty of pits who are just big babies also.

10. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:I have been wondering if she is part American Bulldog. Her muzzle is too long and flat to be pure AB, but I do think she might be a mix of it. Who knows, maybe she isn't pit at all...

There are a lot of Females with that muzzle shape. Here is one example,
    [​IMG]

She is not ours, but we had a papered female that looked almost identical to yours as far as head shape. All though the body shape and size is an indicator too. I can't see her whole body in the picture you posted.

Anyway I'm hijacking this thread, I have issues with the Pitbull/American Bulldog mix up. A lot of the dogs I have seen being put down at the pound, and on Animal Planet are being called Pit Bulls and they aren't.
    I think a little education among the folks that work there could go a long way. I get tired of people running the other way when they see me walking my dog,
    (on a leash) or giving me "warnings" about them turning mean. Just don't own one if you don't like them, but don't kill them all because there are some that have been raised wrong. And don't mistake American Bulldogs for Pit Bulls.
    (Not aimed at JustHatched, I'm speaking in general. Good for you for bringing her home!)[​IMG]
    Sorry for the mini-rant.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by