1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vicious silkie baby roo fight

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Three Silkies, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Three Silkies

Three Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have six silkie chicks almost 7 weeks old (and their mama hen). One of the chicks has already developed a small comb, so I reckon he's probably a rooster (actually, I have a sinking feeling that they're ALL roosters). Anyway, today he and another chick were having a usual chest bumping and head pecking standoff when it got REALLY vicious. They kind of grabbed bits of each other with their beaks and sort of shook their heads from side to side to inflict as much pain as possible. They were both squealing in pain, but both kept going. It took ages for the mama hen, who was over the other side of the yard, to notice and come break it up. So, do you think I need to separate them? And, do you think I need to get rid of him/them? I don't want to get rid of any yet because I'm so desperate to have some hens in my flock and silkies can be tricky things (seeming like hens and then becoming roos and vice versa). I didn't want to get rid of any til I was 100% sure. Any advice anyone?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ive never heard of chicks that young fighting like that, especially silkies but acting like that they're bound to be roos unless there not getting fair share of food?

3. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Its OK..and perfectly normal. We don't live with the chickens so we don't see all behaviors. Young chicks fight. It is part of growing up. It happens in all of the animal kingdom. You do not need to separate them. All sexes fight at that young age.

4. Three Silkies

Nope, they are all getting equal amounts of food (and lots of it), but thank you for the suggestion.

5. Three Silkies

Thank you. That's a relief. Well, not that the vicious fighting will continue, but definitely that it's normal. :)

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    my neighbor did tell me that she had a batch of babies that fought like that so i guess it is "normal" but one of her chicks did lose an eye. hope its all good for you[​IMG]

7. Three Silkies

Oh, how terrible. I hope that doesn't happen to mine. Thanks for your good wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by