Vick's vapor rub and Blu Cote

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyogirl, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Well today was a bad bad day, all our chickens were pecking on each other , a bloody mess. It started on Tuesday when they picked one of the almost to death, she's in the "sick quarters". Well asked a neighbor as he used to raise thousands at a time, and he said use Vicks on their behinds and top and spray pink areas with blu cote, so far no pecking as they hate the taste of vicks. Walked over by the run and hen house and my sinuses are CLEAR LOL. I did order some pinless peepers as i don't feel like doing this again, 2 hours of trying to catch them and applying our remedy. What a fun day.
    Ayda

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like you are on top of things and have a plan. But I just wanted to mention that you might want to check the feed you are giving them to see if you are giving them enough protein.

If you are feeding layer pellets, for example, you don't want to be cutting that protein level down by giving too much scratch or treats.

Some folks have been told by their feed stores to feed only scratch, which is much lower in protein, which is why I mentioned this. That might cause them to feather pick and be grumpy/bloodthirsty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by