Vicks Vapor Rub

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deannep36, May 12, 2009.

1. Deannep36

Deannep36 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    HI all, I'm new here as of today. I'm also new to raising chickens.
    I have 24 chickens that are 7 wks old, and we put them outside a few days ago.
    Yesterday, I went out to feed them and found 3 that were wounded from other chickens pecking at them.
    We brought them back in the house and they are healing.
    My question is, I was doing some research last night and read somewhere that if you pick vicks on the chickens that are being pecked at, the peckers will stop. Does this work? if so can you put it on the wound?
    Thanks for the help
    Deanne

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    It works well for me. I put a big glop on the wound and put the bird back. The pecking bird will get a taste and stop it. I have seen people on here say it does not work but I swear by it.

3. DancesWithChickens

DancesWithChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Rossville, Ga
    I sure didn't know this, but it doesn't taste good so i guess this would work. Dang, i learn something new everyday.

pam [​IMG]

4. Deannep36

May 12, 2009
    Thank you so much. I'm going to get me some today and try it
    I'm so glad I found this place. I have learned so much from all of the posts on here
    Deanne

1 person likes this.
  5. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    When you use it you will see the chickens wiping their beaks on the ground. Don't worry its just because they can't wipe it off. It has to wear off and it won't last that long but it will get the point across!

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I think it would be a bit cruel to put Vick's on a chicken that has been pecked. It's going to burn like $%[email protected] Usually we just spray blu-kote on the wound, and if one keeps pecking, that bird gets removed. Are they bored, hungry or crowded? Usually some treats will get their mind off the boredom.

7. Deannep36

May 12, 2009
    IMO anything you put on a wound is going to hurt and burn like a @#$% at least that has been my experience lol
    I think it was the move from the house to the coop that stressed them. They have plenty of room and I don't think they are bored and they have plenty to eat.
    I saw some peck no more at the feed store yesterday, but it was $$$ thought there had to be something out there that was cheaper and would work.
    Deanne

8. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    [​IMG]

9. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Strongly suggest you do not use Vicks Vapor Rub on your chickens, one of the ingredients is Camphor and chickens are sensitive to it and it can kill them.

For those of you using it you may need to rethink that product.

ML

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by