Vicks Vapor Rub

Deannep36

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
HI all, I'm new here as of today. I'm also new to raising chickens.
I have 24 chickens that are 7 wks old, and we put them outside a few days ago.
Yesterday, I went out to feed them and found 3 that were wounded from other chickens pecking at them.
We brought them back in the house and they are healing.
My question is, I was doing some research last night and read somewhere that if you pick vicks on the chickens that are being pecked at, the peckers will stop. Does this work? if so can you put it on the wound?
Thanks for the help
Deanne

I sure didn't know this, but it doesn't taste good so i guess this would work. Dang, i learn something new everyday.

pam
cool.png

I think it would be a bit cruel to put Vick's on a chicken that has been pecked. It's going to burn like $%$@. Usually we just spray blu-kote on the wound, and if one keeps pecking, that bird gets removed. Are they bored, hungry or crowded? Usually some treats will get their mind off the boredom.

IMO anything you put on a wound is going to hurt and burn like a @#$% at least that has been my experience lol
I think it was the move from the house to the coop that stressed them. They have plenty of room and I don't think they are bored and they have plenty to eat.
I saw some peck no more at the feed store yesterday, but it was $$$ thought there had to be something out there that was cheaper and would work.
Deanne

Strongly suggest you do not use Vicks Vapor Rub on your chickens, one of the ingredients is Camphor and chickens are sensitive to it and it can kill them.

For those of you using it you may need to rethink that product.

ML

Back
Top Bottom