1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vicks Vapor Rub

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cottagechick, Oct 7, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    The lady at the feed store suggested that I put Vicks on my little Polish Bantams head to discourage pecking it. What to you think...brillant or incredibly stupid idea?
    Thanks,
    Julie

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Vicks has a similar ingredient that preparations such as Rooster-Booster Pick-no-more have that are sold to discourage unwanted pecking. It shouldn't harm them, but it may or may not work. Depending on the individual chick, some are easily discouraged, while others seem to be "hard-wired" to cause mayhem.

If you have a chick that has been pecked to the point of causing an open wound, a better solution would be painting Blu-kote on the wound. It will help heal it while disguising the wound.

I've found that Vicks and Pick-no-more are not all that effective, while causing a greasy mess. Blu-kote stains but it's a far more effective solution. Chickens are attracted to anything bright red, but painting it blue renders it neutral and they usually lose interest.

3. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Be careful about using any ointment that is petroleum based on your birds and not water soluble. It will stick in the feathers and can then rot causing an awful mess.

4. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:I am trying to see a bigger picture of your avatar without success. What is it?

5. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Quote:It looks to be a Chicken that just got out of the shower. (It's Nekkid) [​IMG]

6. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Looks like a turkey poult to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by