1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Victims of TSC/Feed stores unite! Post Pics!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksnDaffodils, Mar 1, 2014.

1. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    So for the past 3 years I have been a victim of TSC's ducklings. I walk into the store and am drawn like a magnet to the big bins of cheeping fluffballs in the middle of the store. And in particular the tub with those little webbed feet and darling beaks, not to mention the look in their teensy eyes when they tilt their round heads to look up at you.... Uhuh.

Believe it or not I have managed to walk in and out of TSC TWICE this year without being accompanied by a box full of ducklings, but I know some of you haven't, and I thought it would be fun to consolidate, and have them all on one thread. So if you have any pics of the little duckies that jumped in your pocket after your latest visit to the feed store, PLEASE post them, (even if you have elsewhere already) I am afraid I won't be able to make it all season without caving and acquiring some myself,so I'll prob. have some pics to post myself later.[​IMG]

[​IMG] here are the little guys I resisted earlier today... why.why...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a TSC gift card and can't go near the place. [​IMG]

3. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Last year I got two ducklings from there amd swore to my dad it would only be two and no more. So we got two and a few months later got 3 more ducklings from a breeder. Now we're down to 3 ducks but I will mostly likely have pictures to post later this year because my mom and I are planning on getting more from TSC when they have them. :)

4. DucksnDaffodils

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    A gift card YIPES!!! I don't know if I could do it, definitely better stay away...

5. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I fell victim today. Their adorable little faces were just too irresistible. [​IMG] I've never had ducks and don't know a thing about them but I will learn. Any thoughts as to their breed would not go amiss. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DucksnDaffodils

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    OH they are adorable!! [​IMG] Definitely look like Kahki Campbells a wonderful egg laying breed, and beautiful birds. Do enjoy!! (warning they are pretty messy little buggers, but one look at their darling faces and you will forgive them [​IMG])

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree they look like they could be Khakis.

Please read at least the first post here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

And a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, and if possible The Ultimate Pet Duck Guidebook would be nice - perhaps even a library near you has them.

8. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

10. DucksnDaffodils

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    So it happened. Yesterday I called a couple TSC's in the area, and one of them had 2 weeks old ducklings they were trying to get rid of for a dollar a piece. I was really looking for Runner ducklings, but the only thing the lady could tell me, was that they were the "yellow" ducklings. [​IMG] So I decided to go see for myself. Sure enough they had one bin of big awkward looking runner ducklings, for a dollar a piece. But what made me laugh was some of the info. the TSC guy was giving out. Actually it almost made me mad.

First he told one sweet lady when she asked if medicated feed was alright for ducklings, that it was just a matter of choice,and that medicated feed was just fine for ducklings.... Uh NO!

Then when someone was asking him if the ducks would fly away once they grew up and they let them outside he answered "No, these are Pekin, and you see there wings (pointing to the little ducklings) they're to small for them to fly." (I almost laughed aloud on that one!!!!)

He kept on telling everyone that they were the "white ducks" Pekins. I didn't want to be a know it all, so I didn't say anything... but they were SO Runners. [​IMG]

I will be sure to share pics of my new babies soon. (one has a darling top knot.... CRESTED!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by