Victor/Victoria, Dude or Lady?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Henicillin, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    My three hatchery Salmon Faverolles are now nine weeks old. Two of them are in the "definite pullet" category. The third, though, has been a "is she or isn't she a she?" mystery for several weeks now, and has been christened Victor/Victoria until an official determination (egg or no egg) is made. There's always been this, well, masculine aura to this one. The color seems more pullet-like than cockerel-like, but I'm well aware that that isn't the be-all end-all of identification methods, since this is a hatchery bird and not SQ (one of my pullets could actually be called mahogany instead of salmon). The comb isn't pinking up much, but extensive reading through the SF threads has led me to believe that this also doesn't mean much in this breed, as it can take a while for the testosterone to start flowing in the cockerels. Now, it appears that Vic/Vickie is developing saddle feathers, so I took a bunch of photos today and am putting up a few as my contribution to the "eggs or crows?" game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For comparison, here's the butt of my girliest girl on the left (never mind the big ol' Buff Brahma backside front and center):

[​IMG]

So, what do you think? It doesn't matter either way, as I can have all the roosters I want where I live - if he turns out to be a Victor, he has a home as long as he's nice to the ladies.

2. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Victoria [​IMG]

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    My vote is pullet. I don't see anything rooish about that youngster.

4. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    looking at photos instead of the actual bird, she does just scream "pullet." Victoria it is, then! [​IMG]

It has been one of those little "hmm... am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?", complete with the overthinking and overanalyzing in which I specialize. [​IMG]

5. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Victoria!

6. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately Victoria, she's just got darker coloring than ideal for the standard. Very pretty girl either way! [​IMG]

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    eggs [​IMG]

8. dasmiths0323

dasmiths0323 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    My vote is a girl, and a pretty one at that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by