Victor / Victoria?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AnimalQuackers, Jul 31, 2013.

1. AnimalQuackers

AnimalQuackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Can I get input, please, as to gender and breed of these two chickens that were sold to us as "SEXED Cochin pullets."

The dark black one is "Victoria," and the grey one (on the right in the third and fourth photos) is "Georgina." This morning, we HEARD and SAW "Georgina" crowing! I also think they might be bantams - they are SO MUCH TINIER than our other Cochin hen, who came from a different hatchery. Their approximate hatch date is May 1, 2013.

Also - the white duck is a Muscovy - sex unknown. Thinking with these MONSTER TRUCK legs it must be a boy! Thoughts and feedback are very appreciated!

Michelle in Massachusetts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If the cochins are about 14 weeks I would vote that Victoria is probably a boy also, that is a lot of comb and wattle for a 14 week old pullet.
    A lot of hatcheries have cochins in standard and bantam so they could very well be bantams, especially if you got them at a feed store where they are not good about keeping chicks straight a lot of times.
    With the duck, not sure how old it is, but if you have any to compare it too, even fairly young usually the males are a lot bigger and bulkier than the females and as you said, the legs look huge next to the girls, can't see the head very well but the boys get the red lumpy face look a lot sooner and it is spread out more.

3. AnimalQuackers

Jun 29, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Thank you for the kind and prompt reply Kelsie!

Yes, I am afraid these two "girl" Cochins are boys! Sigh! NO WAY we want to risk upsetting our neighbors with crowing. I am going to call and see if the "breeder" will take them back. This is a woman in Connecticut who has a nice website and runs a farm from which they sell chickens and supplies, including coops. I hope she will take them back and refund our $40 for the two...I don't know what we will do otherwise! I appreciate your input!

As for the duck, "he" is our only duck. When we went to the feed store to buy our first three chickens, my husband saw the little yellow ball of fuzz running around and said, "I WANT ONE!" We only bought the one, so have nothing to compare him to. I knew about Muscovies because my father raised them when he was a boy and I have heard lots of stories about Muscovies. The guy at the feed store told us he had no idea if the duck was a male or female - and my husband didn't care. So male or female, "Zippy" (can you guess who named him?) is staying! At least "he" doesn't CROW! :)

4. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    I agree.The 2 "Girl" Cochins are Roos! They are very pretty and I hope Im wrong so you can keep them![​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Too bad about your Cochins, hope you get it worked out. The crowing is kind of hard to argue with when they are supposed to be sexed pullets. If she has other birds, maybe she can do a trade for some known pullets? You'd think she would at least give you store credit for the cost of the non-pullets.
    I know what you mean with neighbors and roosters, they usually are not a good combination.
    If the two do turn out to be roosters, and it does sound like they are bantams, they are popular as pets and as 4-H birds. You might try putting an ad on Craigs list and checking if the local 4-H group extension office if anybody is looking for project birds if you want to try and re-home them yourself.
    Ducks really are characters, and muscovies are realllly friendly ducks, you'll get a lot of entertainment value out of Zippy (good name) for sure. And, yes, they are incredibly cute as duckings, I've heard that "and that is how we wound up with a duck" story before :) And the idea of a crowing duck is scary.

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Both chickens are roosters

7. AnimalQuackers

Jun 29, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    Thank you kindly to all of you for your replies!

Yes, we are pretty sure they are both roosters - which would also explain why they are so mean! I have a friend who has chickens, and she knows someone who might want them - hoping she asks TODAY so we can rehome them - it's really about not making our neighbors angry, although the crowing is limited to the AM and only after my husband lets them out of the coop around 7 AM - it's not too loud...there are dogs in the neighborhood who are louder! Our neighbors are really wonderful, and I do not think they would complain, but I certainly do not want to do anything to strain the relationship we have with them!

SO...hopefully they will find new homes with my friend's friend today! The farm we bough them from is not "open" again until August 17, and I really don't want to wait two weeks to rehome them if we can help it!

Kelsie - yes, I did think about posting ads on craigslist. I guess I am just hoping I can find them a home on a farm rather than on a plate, and I am not sure I trust all the folks who promise "a good home" on craigslist! But I will definitely post there if my friend's friend does not want them.

Thank you again to everyone for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by