Victory! I helped my hen get broody! (I think)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ravie, May 2, 2011.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    She's a silkie, so it's not as big of a deal to some folks. To me, this is a huge victory. Here's what I did:

I purchased my silkie hen last Tuesday after deciding I wanted a broody hen. The lady I bought her from was so generous! She gave me some fertilized eggs to set under my new girl! When I got my hen home, I immediately put her in a plastic dog crate. I cut a cardboard box up to make a nice nesting area. I filled the box with clean wood shavings and added the eggs. I gave her a feeder and waterer. I introduced her to her new "home". She immediately sat down on the eggs and I thought I was home free! Alas, it was not so. After about 12 hours on the nest, she got up and refused to go back to the nest to except to lay. For a silkie she did pretty well, she laid 4 eggs in 5 days! I was both delighted and sad. I wanted the eggs, but I didn't want them to die for lack of a hen to set them.

The next thing I tried was to cover the dog kennel with towels so it was very dark. My theory was that as a new bird, she probably didn't feel safe in my garage with the big door opening all the time. It's noisy! I left her in the "dark" for 24 hours though I did lift the towels for about 2 hours so she could have some light. Still, she was actively moving about the crate. Not broody at all!

Last night, I read that a lady had success by setting the hen ON the eggs during the night while the hen was sleeping. I tried it myself last night. She reluctantly plopped down on the eggs and went back to sleep. In the morning she was still there! She's also got herself smashed down flat as a pancake. I almost couldn't see her! She didn't get up to eat the fresh food I brought her. I am very hopeful!

The only thing I think I would have done differently is use golf-balls until she was actually broody. I don't know much about what fertile eggs can live through, but she sat them for 12 hours got off and now she's sitting on them again a few days later. Would that be enough to cause those eggs not to hatch? I think there's a chance the newer eggs will hatch just fine, at least.

Hope this helps someone else. Of course, I should add that the day I brought my Silkie home, one of my Easter Eggers went broody. Figures!

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Yay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by