victory this am!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kimt816, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    the one time i didnt lock up my hens i come down to a racket in the coop this am to feed the babies, my dog was raising holy heck on the back side of the coop. i finished feeding grabbed my shovel ( dont ask me what i was going to do with a shovel LOL) and went to investigate and there it was a big ugly coon penned on top of the roof of the shed next to my coop. GOOD DOG.. anyway what to do..... i went to get gun... locked in safe.... cant open... cant remember combo UGHHHH .... this is my husbands safe mind you and i dont like to shoot but i was going to do something... called hubby he was going to come home and shoot it... cant wait that long called neighber who was trying to help me trap them ..something had been getting to the babies a few weeks ago then stopped when i set out traps go figure. Well long story shorter lol friend showed up shot not one but TWO ugly coons.. strike one up for the chickens and the guard dog steak dinner for him tonight....[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good for you! I hate raccoons more than just about anything. They are the most destructive little beasties there is.

4. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Quote:But are great on the grill.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Kim, don`t let your guard down. bout 2 years ago I had a coon seige. They were trap smart and wouldn`t go near a trap. Ended up killing 9 of them. Of course they killed 13 chickens and a duck before I got them all. Had to resort to The Recipe to finally put a stop to the carnage. I don`t have any $5 chickens. I breed exotic gamefowl and don`t own a feather worth less than $150. Bout made me sick before it finally stopped.

6. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    i know that teaches me not to lock up the girls rain or no rain. they will be penned tonight and from here on out for sure. traps are still set but like you said they didnt even bother with them. got my gun handy now though and of course my guard dog lol:)

7. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Wouldn't grilled coon be good for the girls? And, people? In this economy would there be a reason not to?

8. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    [​IMG] skin raccoon,,boil untill tender,brown in bacon or fatback grease,serve with cornbread and mashed potatoes,surprising how good they taste,and they won,t be harressing your chickens either,could add a bowl of turnip greens ,oops,,wrong thread,,,

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I've lost too many good animals to coons! They are big mean strong rats if you ask me.

10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    [​IMG] way to go!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by