Video-girl fights to keep her pet chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JudyMcKinn, Nov 15, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    There is a video on my CNN home page this morning about a 14 year old girl with 6 hens and a rooster. A neighbor wants to get rid of them, but she has petitions from all the other neighbors that she should keep them. I don't know how long it will be there, or if this link I copied will show it.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2007/11/15/miele.chicken.fight.wtae

I hope she can have good luck with them.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I hope she gets to keep them. I am all for small home flocks. I can understand the problem with the rooster though.

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Yeah, after watching that I agree. I'll bet she could make a deal with the zoning board to let her keep the hens but not the rooster....... Personally I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a rooster but I would never inflict that on my neighbors in this tight neighborhood. The baying beagle next door is bad enough! But good for her for fighting!
    Stacey

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I hope she fights and wins. I do agree the rooster may be a little bothersome for the close neighbors, I personally love roosters and love hearing mine, but we are out in the country on 10 acres. I love to see a teenager so passionate about something that is so rewarding. It could always be her playing her music too loud or breaking curfew....... but let this teenager keep her chickens. [​IMG]

5. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I saw that last nite on the WTAE action news. I think the main problem is the rooster. I hope she can find a good home for him, and keep the girls. I already have 3 roos or I would offer to take him.

6. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    UGH! I am SO glad I live in the country...where folks look at you funny if you do NOT have chickens...rooster or not! LOL!

I have to agree with most that I'd be more apt to keep the chickens and get rid of the roo. As much as I love roos, if I lived in a residential/semi urban area...it's the courteous thing to do. IMHO.

How cool though that she's determined to keep her chickens. Kudos to her!

Pedro ~:-V

7. twincreekfarm

twincreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Vandalia, OH
    i sure hope she gets to keep her flock, even the rooster. She just may not want to let him free range so much. I live in an area that used to be agricultural but is now suburb. We have about 1 acre and our neighbors have no problems with our chickens and our now 2 roosters. Our don't free range much due to the predators in our area. I would hope my neighbors would fight for my rights as a pet owner just as hers are. Good Luck Kiddo! Hope they do an update on this story!

Tina

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I hope she gets to keep them. I'm on the fence about the rooster, IMO they aren't any worse then a dog (mine hardly ever crow anyway) and I don't complain about dogs barking. [​IMG]

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Heck, Slifer crowed louder than Sundae...sheesh...
    I've already signed her petition...twice I think.[​IMG]
    And sent a letter to her newspaper too.

Even I could have a roo if I was breeding or showing...if I kept him quiet so noone could kvetch.

It's not like it's in the darned Back Bay! It's more of a suburban backyard, like mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by