VIDEO: Is this coughing or sneezing, and what do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggfooyoung, Apr 24, 2017.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    I've got one 3wk old chick who is sick. She was MUCH worse, with very labored breathing and constant coughing, neck stretching and chirping with no voice, but I started them on Corid this past Saturday morning and she's much better, VERY active as well as eating & drinking fine, but still has a lingering "cough". Not even sure what's wrong with her, but can you please take a look and see if you're familiar with this behavior, and if you think the Corid will help? Not sure what else I can try...

I posted a video a few days ago but it got very few replies even though it's had over 50 views. Hoping someone, anyone will be able to give me some advice :)

I'm brand new to chickens so any assistance would be SO very appreciated! Thank you!!

[​IMG]

2. eggfooyoung

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Corid isn't an antibiotic. All it has in it is a thiamine blocker for the cocci parasite. Your chick likely has respiratory issues, and may need an antibiotic if it doesn't get better. Be alert for runny eyes and discharge from the beak.

It's sneezing, by the way, but sneezing may be caused by a dusty environment. Chicks have very sensitive respiratory systems, so cutting down on dusty bedding may help.

4. eggfooyoung

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi @azygous and thanks for the reply... the only person that replied to me the first time I posted about the chick being sick said to do Corid, even after watching the video. So I did - and oddly, she seems much better. Not sure though how to make the bedding less dusty. I actually think it's the food and not the pine shavings... but again, not sure what to do about that?

PS - any ideas on an antibiotic that I can get OTC that might help if she has a respiratory issue?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  5. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Cute video ... I noticed the " food" looked like mostly powder, my feed has a lot of dusty powder in it too. I'd wet down the grains for her , just make her a mushy warm meal and see if she eats it easier .

I ferment all my chick feed,
    Don't like to see them eatting dust,
    I wouldn't do any antibiotics,
    Is the chick feed medicated??
    Vitamins in the water??

6. eggfooyoung

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi and thanks for the reply!

How does one go about fermenting chick feed?? Also, do I wet it for ALL chicks or do I have to separate the one and feed it the wet feed? And yes, it's completely like powder and it's ALL OVER the room they're being kept in. The chick feed is unmedicated, but I have Corid in their water right now until Friday. Prior to that I had ACV in their water, and prior to that I had some nutridench in there (the first week or so I think - based on a recommendation someone online gave me). What would YOU do if this was YOUR baby, @snow5164 ?

7. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Oh I'd like her to be my baby[​IMG],

I'd buy medicated feed , only one bag is what I do with my chicks . I'd soak one cup seed in a cup to cup and a half hot water in a mason jar ( no lid), let it said 2-3 days til it bubbles and smells yeasty.You want an oatmeal consistency, mine drink the liquid so don't worry it's not fussy

Give them all soaked grains in the mean time ,I add a Tb of apple cider vinegar to each jar.

I think she's sneezing [​IMG]

8. eggfooyoung

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    @snow5164 I have a bag of medicated feed that I plan on starting after I'm done with the Corid on Friday. But do you mean a cup of the medicated feed when you say a cup of seed? Sorry - I'm a newbie and I'm confused! lol!

9. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    [​IMG]That's ok,
    One cup of whatever your feeding them
    In a jar with warm water to start the fermentation faster.

Two jars I stirred but the other two you can see the water in there , it's reddish because I added chili powder

10. eggfooyoung

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by