Video of Honking Duckling

raggiedoll88

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Cinnamon (Minnie) is my two week old Golden 300 duckling. The past few days I've heard her voice change from a little peep like her friends into more of a honk. I'm not sure if this is normal or something to be concerned about.

I just took a video tonight (she's the duckling underneath the heat plate) because she was being very vocal and I wanted opinions on if this was a normal voice change of if it was a sign of illness or something else. She's acting fine, eating, drinking, gaining weight like a champ... She's my biggest duckling & is currently 389 grams (up 70 grams from last night) so I know that she has a healthy appetite. I'm just worried about her because she has this weird voice that none of the others have & I'm not sure if it's something to be concerned about.

I think she might have a cold or some congestion because she sneezes a bit throughout the day and I think I heard her wheezing a little bit earlier. I tried to get my girls a vet appointment but they won't see them until they're healthy for a "new patient" visit -- they told me they won't take emergencies until we're established patients at their office. So I'm trying to treat my girls at home as best I can. I picked up VetRX (& Nutri-Drench, Durvet High Level Vitamin B Complex & Poultry Booster) at TSC this evening and applied the VetRX to her bill to help with congestion but I'm not sure if it'll really do much other than smell nice.

I'll attach a link to the "honking" video below, and a few pictures of my beautiful Minnie! Please let me know what you think about her voice -- if it's normal or not. And any suggestions on what I can find her (if anything) the sneezing & wheezing since I can't get her in the the vet until she's healthy. Thank you!

Honking Duckling video

Attachments

• IMG_20210423_184528078.jpg
    IMG_20210423_184528078.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210426_164921019.jpg
    IMG_20210426_164921019.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210425_173630977.jpg
    IMG_20210425_173630977.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
My 2 week old runner is making this exact sound. I am hoping someone has an answer. Hugs!!
They all started doing it more and more as they got older, my ducklings will be five weeks old tomorrow & are all doing really well! So I wouldn't be concerned about the honking sound if I were you!

I thought their voices were supposed to charge much later but I guess some ducklings are more advanced and start getting their quacks earlier than others!

Do they have a bowl they can dunk their heads into to clean their nares out? I see a waterer in one of your pics but it's for chicks.
Beautiful ducklings by the way.

Back
Top Bottom