1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Video of my automatic coop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by matimeo, Aug 11, 2011.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Here's a link to my automatic door opener. I ended up buying the D-20 automatic pop door opener and fastening it to my own sliding pop door. It was the cheapest option and has worked great. I didn't see many videos that reviewed it in any depth, so here you get a close up on how it works.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Um, that's really nice but... WHERE'S MINE?! Oh wait, I probably need an actual coop first. [​IMG]

Pretty cool stuff! [​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Great idea [​IMG]

4. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    Okay, I'm impressed. Also the first time I've seen a pop door on drawer slides, that is slick!

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    This may not be a good question but what's the chance a hen could be late going in and get caught halfway into the house and have the door get her? Or is that even a matter that's of any concern at all? I would feel might guilty if one got shut out once and some varmit killed her.

6. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:That's a good question. The door only weighs two pounds so it couldn't really hurt the chicken even if it happened to be there. Gravity is the only force acting on it to make it close. My chickens always let themselves in at night before dark. I have it setup to close for a good 30 minutes or more after they go in at night and haven't had a problem. In the year ive had chickens ive never had one try to roost anywhere other than in the coop or I supposes that if they all if the sudden did they might just really be wanting to remove themselves from the gene pool. The chances of it are so remote that im not worrying about it.

7. WelshSpringChicken

WelshSpringChicken Out Of The Brooder

I'm looking at installing an automatic door in my coop (when it's built!) but due to costing will probably be going down the 'homemade' route.

Liking the drawer runners by the way, genius [​IMG]

8. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Yes, the drawer slides are an ingenious idea! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by