Video of new Buff Orpington chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by psyverson, Jun 14, 2011.

1. psyverson

psyverson Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V9ZcyKT89PQ

Pretty
    cool, post office called, I went and got them. Temp in their brooder, which is in my shed, is holding steady at 95degrees.
    Just a simple 40-watt bulb, they ate some grogel, but preferred their starter feed.

Also awaiting some pekin ducklings from chickensforbackyards.com, both sent the same day, but only got a call about this
    one package of chicks... kind of worried, what would the hold up be?

-Pete

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    They look very happy! [​IMG] Your dogs are being so good around them.

3. psyverson

psyverson Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    My one dog, a black lab mixed with a big old Great Dane, doesn't much care about them, he sniffs and then walks away.
    My other one, the white pit mix you see in the vid, is enamored with them. I don't let her around them alone, she is after
    all, a dog.

Any tips on getting them more acquainted? I know as the chicks get bigger she'll be less interested in play, but now at their
    small size, I'd just be interested to see them interact, but I'll keep a close watch and hand in between.

4. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Our chicks were in the house 2 days until the dogs realized they were there. Which amazed me to no end, but I think they're just too old to care and part senile. They were literally laying right next to them.
    I put the dogs outside any time I am handling the chicks outside their brooder. No matter how much I trust them, I don't want to take the chance. Even if they just sniff too hard and knock them over or step on one, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by