**VIDEO** Wheezing Chick with Labored Breathing...Tylan or Baytril?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buildingmyark, Nov 3, 2013.

1. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    1.) Two-month old ee bantam; not sure about her weight, but she doesn't seem emaciated.
    2) She's wheezing with each breath, and I can hear a little rattling. Tonight, along with the wheezing she is open mouth breathing. Since I have separated her she seems more lethargic. No discharge or other symptoms.
    3) I noticed her having these symptoms last night.
    4) None of the other 7 chicks in her brooder are showing any type of symptoms.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing
    7) She has eaten a little bit of chick starter and is drinking water with "save-a-chick". I have offered her scrambled eggs as well, but she's not interested.
    8) Her poop looks completely normal.
    9) I gave her a Tylan (50) injection IM tonight. Now I'm thinking that wasn't the best choice.
    10 ) I can/will try to treat her myself, but am open to seeing a vet if needed. I have Tylan, Baytril, and PenG on hand, but I'm not sure what is best as I've never dealt with this particular ailment.
    12) She is in a chick brooder right now with pine shavings. The shavings are covered with a dishtowel so that I can observe her poop easily.

My question is should I continue with the Tylan or switch to the Baytril. If I switch to the Baytril, how soon can I do that and what would be the ideal dosage for a chick? Any other suggestions for a treatment plan or possible diagnosis are definitely welcome! Thanks so much in advance :)[​IMG]

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Tylan is good for respiratory, keep it up for the required dosages and time.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd treat with the Tylan50. Its a very good antibiotic for respiratory diseases.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any idea what she may have? Have you had any birds with respiratory disease? Brooder pneumonia ( apsergillosis) can be a problem with chickens when the pine shavings get wet and moldy from spilled water. You can also use an antibiotic in the water such as oxytetracycline, or Tylan soluble powder. http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disfungi.htm

5. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thank you so much for all of the responses. Does anyone know how long/often I should give the Tylan? I gave her .1cc and am hoping that is the correct dosage for a chick her size. Can anyone confirm that number? Eggcessive, I have no clue what this could be. I have never dealt with anything respiratory-related within my flock, so this is super-scary.

Today she seems to be doing a little better. She is breathing easier and the wheezing is much quieter or non-existent. She is pretty lethargic, but I can only assume that the labored breathing was exhausting and I know that neither of us slept last night.

Thanks again, everyone!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The Tylan dose for a grown chicken would be 1/2 to 1 cc, 1/4 cc for a bantam, so you are in the ball park in dosage, maybe could give 1/8 cc or ml. Tylan 50 (same dose) can be given orally if you are extremely careful not to choke them, carefully letting them swallow. Orally or by injection the average time given is 3-5 days. You can find a lot of differing opinions on dosage depending on the source. Where did you get the chick? From a hatchery, breeder, or by hatching yourself? Mycoplasma can be transmitted through hatching eggs which is always a scary thought when we hatch other people's eggs. Not saying this is what it is, but just mentioning. Hopefully, it was just a piece of chick crumbles that got in the airway to cause a problem.

7. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Here is a rate from one of the other post..

Tylan50's 1 ml has 50 mg with a dosage of 35mg per 1 kg caged bird weight, according to Merck. 1kg=2 lbs
    35 mg = 2 lbs bird dosage; 50 mg is 143% of 35mg, so 1 ml treats a 2.86 pound bird. 1 cc = 1 ml so 1/2 cc treats a 1.43 pound bird.

Some other post give .25 ml for banty and .5ml for standard.

3 - 5 days of treatment, it works fast. Switch injection sites it is rough on the muscle tissue.

Hope this is clearer than MS Mud?

1 person likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  9. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Perfect! Thank yall so very much again. I will continue with the Tylan 50 for four more days to be safe.

Eggcessive, she is from My Pet Chicken. She's been napping most of the day and occasionally tucks her head under her wing. I've also seen her preening a bit. Surprisingly, she's been interested in a little food and water, so I always see that as a good sign. The wheezing and labored breathing has pretty much faded, so is it normal for her to be doing a lot of sleeping?

[​IMG]

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Injectible Tylan 50 has been administered orally but do not think that is wise due to the risk of aspiration. If you can't or won't inject under the skin on the back of the neck, you should be using Tylan soluble powder mixed in drinking water according to label instructions or LS-50 (lincomycin-spectinomycin). Both are effective against CRD and LS-50 given @ 1tsp per gallon for 5-7 days or Tylan powder @ 1/8 tsp for 5-7 days. The problem with Tylan powder is it is expensive and doesn't keep long.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by