Viewing Window in Duck House?

featherweather61

Hatching
Jan 29, 2020
Minnesota
I'm drawing up plans for a new duck house. I recently renovated my kitchen and have a large picture window I'm trying to reuse in some way. My first thought was to use it as a viewing window in the duck house so my toddler could peek inside and see the nests and eggs without needing to open the door. Will the ducks be fearful of their house with this large glass window since they could potentially see predators sniffing around at night???

Yeah its a great idea, you could keep an eye out for an old shower curtain for a window curtain because a big window might make it light a green house in the heat of the summer

i wish i had glass windows for my coop

Yeah its a great idea, you could keep an eye out for an old shower curtain for a window curtain because a big window might make it light a green house in the heat of the summer

i wish i had glass windows for my coop
Thats a real good point! I have 2 skylights in our bathroom that faces south and they made the room so hot in the summertime so I got shades for them and they work great and keep us cool in the summer and warmer in the winter

I wish i could find some free windows for my duck-house here! My ducks love to hang out at the wire covered parts of their house and look outside. They know nothing bad can come inside and they're safe and they just love to look out.
Also, having a (Iarge) window makes it easier for you to walk inside and collect the eggs and do other duck-chores without bringing in a work-light.

Does the window open and close or is it stationary? The extra ventilation if it opens does wonders all year round for excess heat or moisture.
The window on my duck house is stationary so I can take it off so there is a screen with hardware cloth covering it and then in winter just pop it back on. Their window faces west so we don't have heat issues.

IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5141.JPG

I made a coop like this. Instead of one glass side it is pressed against glass so we can vieuw them from inside. They love it! They feel more safe due to the glass because they can see us/feel like they are close to us.

I guess they will not be less scared with a glass side on their coop; if it is pointed towards your house and/or standing close to it. They can actually feel more safe.
But that depends on where you have room for a coop or not.
If it is not possible close to your house the tips on shutters is a good one. They can get scared when they see a predators; but on the other hand they seem to understand how glass works.. and know it can't go through glass after a while. So if it is a closed coop unlike mine; they understand that no predator can get to them.. over here they just sleep through any dog/cat that is trying to get at them through the window..

With a glass window you have to make sure it is in the shadow and no sun goes through the window. I also made an extra airvent ( you can't see on the picture) on the top. It's on my instagram @loopeenden but I'm on the pc now. It's on the front and quite big; but due to being that sticking out part in front of it it does not cause wind going through. Using glass allways needs more ventilation.

I wish i could find some free windows for my duck-house here! My ducks love to hang out at the wire covered parts of their house and look outside. They know nothing bad can come inside and they're safe and they just love to look out.
Also, having a (Iarge) window makes it easier for you to walk inside and collect the eggs and do other duck-chores without bringing in a work-light.

I would contact local remodelers about windows and 2x4s that need nails removed. When people upgrade, the old windows usually end in a dumpster. New construction can yield lumber that are scrap or twisted. When younger I brought home enough material to build a garden shed. All from the dumpster.

Back
Top Bottom