1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

villainous ATTACK

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChemicalchiCkns, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    Some unknown Offender attackt and kill'd my not so Prize white Wyndott Hen. There are many Feathers scattr'd around for about one Meter, and her Head Neck and Back are Gone. She was in a fenc'd Area and underneath a scrub Oak Tree. I cannot discover, the responsible Animal, tho. Any useful Assistance, in this Matter, will be gladly Accepted.

2. Goob chickens

Goob chickens New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    California
    I think it would be something small and vicious, otherwise they would have just taken off with the whole chicken. Raccoon? Maybe a fox?

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: That sounds like a Raptor

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It could have been anything, up to and including a stray dog.

If you would like some useful advice, here it is: pen your birds up in a safe pen. If the predators can't get to them, they can't kill them.

If you allow your birds to wander around loose, then just accept that some of them, maybe all of then, are going to be killed. There are dozens of creatures who will kill chickens. Everybody likes to eat chicken.,

5. sperry

sperry New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    Lost a Beautiful Americauna hen to either a possum or raccoon as it either reached thru my flimsy cage or crawled under. went for the head though and couldn't drag out the body. "Junior Steve" didn't make it but we got "Junior Steve II" and she produces the most beautiful green eggs. Re wrapped entire cage with chicken wire. Good luck. but my bet is on a raccoon.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Most likely it was a Racoon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by