Vinegar flush for egg yolk peritonitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelonHeadSeb, Sep 24, 2016.

1. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    I have a chicken who had peritonitis a month ago, we gave her Lincospectin powder once a day on some food and she was back to normal within a week, but she has it again now and the Lincospectin hasn't been working. We took her to the vets who drained some fluid and now she is on Baytril.

I have heard about doing a "vinegar flush" which is mixing vinegar and warm water and syringing it into her vent - could this help? I don't want to do anything that could make her worse. Thanks.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Talk to your vet about the vinegar flush, they should know if it would be effective.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-peritonitis-duramycin-10#post_17410326

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've read the same stuff on various forums, but never read anything where a vet has suggested is, soi t's not something I would try unless a vet advised me to. [​IMG]

-Kathy

4. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Probably not the best idea because you could potentially cause injury...if this is a repeat incidence (peritonitis) then from personal experience it only gets worse so ideally if this were my bird and I considered her a pet I'd go ahead and get her into a vet and see if she'd be able to get a suprelorin aka deslorelin implant which prevents laying and she'll be able to live a healthy life but it does need to be replaced as it wears off, usually every six months or so, it's a option if you really want it

1 person likes this.
  5. MelonHeadSeb

May 26, 2014
    Yeah you guys are right I should probably call my vet up and see what they say.

@polish hen that suprelorin sounds very interesting.. I will talk to my vet about that too. She is definitely a pet so I don't mind her not being able to lay - thanks for the suggestion. Have you had to use this yourself for EYP? Did it work?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  6. polish hen

Aug 29, 2016
    Yes it did work and my hen started having problems at about one year old, they determined that her she'll gland (part of the rep.system that's responsible for forming the shell on an egg)wasent functioning as it should be and after a month on a liquid high dose calcium supplement it was determined that either her she'll gland was malfunctioning or her body was unable to process calcium well enough or fast enough...she was one of my best layers back then so her body could have been worn out at a young age too and it didint help that she wasent even a production breed meant for laying such high egg numbers (she a little golden laced Polish hen) but she's been getting thease implants for 3 years now and is doing awesome!, they usually end up lasting anywhere from 4 to 6 months at a time and the one time it's lasted about seven and a half months...it really depends what's going on like is it laying season or molting season ect as to how long it will last her. It's really easy to tell when it's about to wear off as there are sighns to look for, her comb will be pale and shriveled once on the implant (she may sort of look like she's molting) and when her implants starting to wear off her comb will first start to grow then turn red, she may also squat infront of you or your rooster (if you have one) and also she'll start looking around for a nest sort of frantically (like a new pullet coming into lay for the first time). Once thease sighns start you'll have maybe a week at the most to get her in for her next implant so you'll have more than enough of a warning, also the implant often throws a hen into a mini molt and for the first few weeks she won't have as much of an appetite and her poop may look off...don't worry it's the hormones that are causing this, plus she may be a bit moppy and stand around also but she'll return to normal soon enough and each time there after she'll be less and less bothered buy it. Sorry for such a long post just wanted to give you as much info as I can and the implant is very easy on her sort of like a microchip put into a dog or cat, but they do have to use a rather large needle so they may suggest putting her under a general anestetic but I must say after my girl had her put in with anestetic (twice) I asked to try without one because she felt really messed up and scared as the drug was wearing off so I've been getting her done without and she's taking it much much better, she sort of does a quick low sqwak sound and she's perfectly fine a few seconds later and she's preening so much less of a risk in my opinion!. The implants are 130 dollars and a lot of vets especially exotic vets use them for parrots and ferrets even male dogs I do belive it shouldn't be a problem getting them...

4 people like this.
  7. MelonHeadSeb

May 26, 2014
    Thanks so so much for all this information, so helpful. I will try to contact my vet today and see if they are able to do it. How long does it take the injection to come into effect? I've heard around a week?

8. polish hen

Aug 29, 2016
    I have two hens on the implant, the Polish and a modern game bantum and for both its taken effect pretty much imediatley within the first 24 hours after injection.

9. MelonHeadSeb

May 26, 2014
    Great, thanks. She got her Suprelorin implant today as well as being drained a bit more - hoping for the best. Ended up costing £135 overall.. a bit more expensive than I was hoping but hopefully its worth it

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  10. polish hen

Aug 29, 2016
    Awesome!!!, she's so lucky to have a owner like you!, makes me happy that she's going to be okay now...and yes it can be pricey but it's well worth it and you should at least get six months from this implant. Let me know if you have anymore questions in the future and take care!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by