Vinegar in chickens water.

macdoogle2

Songster
12 Years
Apr 3, 2011
San Diego
I've been reading about adding vinegar to the chickens or chicks water as a way to help with paracites. There is no mention of what kind or how much. I though of using apple cider vinegar. How much should I add to one gallon of water?

Search apple cidar vinegar on here & you will find pages & pages of helpful info. It's great.
Basically, 1 Tbsp. per gallon of water, but only in plastic or glass waterers. But use unfermented ACV. You'll have to research the posts. Too much info to mention.
smile.png

You want the Apple Cider Vinegar "with the mother." Braggs makes one. Someone also posted how to make your own, which is much cheaper. Druid is correct. I TB per gallon of water in a plastic feeder. It is supposed to help with vitamin absorption, I believe.

A friend told me about drinking a quarter cup of ACV daily and all the benefits from that. I tried it for a while. Agh. Just the though makes me gag. 1 table spoon in 1 gallon sounds ok for the chickens. I'll give it a try. I hear it's good for dogs too. Thanks for the help.

You can use any Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with mother.
Bragg
Spectrum Organic
Omega Nutrition
Dynamic Health
There are other brands out there also just remember you will want Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar mother.

Here is some information on Apple Cider Vinegar.
Apple Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium. It will normalize pH levels in the stomach, improve digestion and the assimilation of nutrients.
A few more benefits of Oral Apple Cider Vinegar are:
*Reduces intestinal and fecal odors.
*Aids in digestion.
*Helps to break down minerals and fats.
*Assists the animal to assimilate proteins.
*Assists the animal to convert food better.
*It lowers the pH of the digestive tract which
will make an environment less welcoming
to pathogens therefore will reduce common
infections and increases resistance to disease.
*Improves stamina and fertility.
*It is a great overall tonic that will improve the general well being of the animal.
If started while Birds are young (1-1/2 to 2weeks), birds
*Will feather out quicker.
*Are hardier.
*Grow to their potential sooner when used with an adequate feed.
I find the meat is also leaner due to the fats being converted quicker.

Cautions:
Do not use metal water dishes (except stainless steal).
Vinegar should not be used internally with animals that have an irritated lining of the intestinal tract.

Also I would not use at the same time with a commercial wormer. On some commercial wormer it will have one funky chemical reaction with ACV...
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Unopened, it will keep indefinitely; once opened it will keep about 6 months.

Add 1/8-1/4 of a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to every 4 fl ozs of water, or 1/8-1/4 cup per gallon of water.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a good question. I use 1 TB per gallon every other day. I only have 4 birds, and one 1 gallon waterer, so I pretty much fill it every day and use the vinegar every other day. I have no idea whether or not this is "normal."

I also don't think it's a matter of "should", but more like some people feel it's beneficial. I don't think you are doing harm to your birds if you don't use it.

It also keeps slimy stuff from growing on the waterer.

Several years ago we poured maybe one cup of ACV into a hundred gallon water container for our burros. At the time we were having trouble with flies eating at the salt in their tears. Seems to me it was a big help.

The town "bird lady" also had us pouring a tablespoon or two into the bird bath when birds were being killed by some disease they were passing around. This was long before we had chickens...

Ah, these 'mature moments'.... sorry I can't remember more information.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom