vinegar in drinking water?

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
I know I have seen something here about apple cider vinegar in drinking water and cannot for the life of me find it except to not put it in galvanized waterers. I get that. but what about plastic waterers and how much and what type (Bragg's?) and what is the purpose? thanks in advance!
idunno.gif

I would recommend you do the search for the info. as Dawn suggested (as you can get so much more information that way!), but would also like to answer your question. You use the Bragg, so the chickens can get the full benefit of it at 1 Tbs per gallon of water.

I think the point of Bragg is just that it comes "with the mother" in it.

I gave mine water in a galvanized water w/the vinegar all last summer. They are still alive and well. For now they have a heated waterer. I guess I should see why people say that about galvanized by spring.

Quote:
It does come with the "mother" in it and that is where the added health benefits are.

Ok, now what the heck does that mean? Comes with the mother in it? Say WHAT?

Why would you put vinegar in anythings drinking water....YUCK! What benefit would that have?

I've read that vinegar in their drinking water can help keep odor down and I've been adding it to my chickens' water ever since. I don't know that it's working against odor but they don't seem to mind it at all.

Last edited:
I was told that if I put a tsp. or 2 in my grapefruit juice every morning that it would lower my cholesterol. Now that my girls are ensuring that I have fresh eggs for breakfast I've decided to give it a try! I've stopped putting the cider in the water this winter, but will go back to giving it to the girls in the spring when I change the waterer back to non-heated.

Quote:
It does come with the "mother" in it and that is where the added health benefits are.

Ok, now what the heck does that mean? Comes with the mother in it? Say WHAT?

Why would you put vinegar in anythings drinking water....YUCK! What benefit would that have?

Sorry I should have realized you would not know what that meant. In my first post my point was buy any brand you like so long as it does come "with the mother".

"with the mother" mean's its unfiltered, so there are still apple parts/floaties in there, so they get the vitamins and such not just vinegar.

The why? The vinegar keeps stuff from growing, like bacteria and the like. It can also help kill of bad things internally for them.

Back
Top Bottom