Vinegar in their water - are they still drinking enough?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leight54, Jan 20, 2012.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

I give my chickens fresh water every day, and they usually start drinking even as I'm pouring. But since I started adding vinegar (Bragg's organic) to their water, they don't seem as interested. I'm not sure they're drinking enough, now. How concerned should I be? Is there another way to get them to take the vinegar? I thought of soaking some cooked rice, which is one of their favorite treats, in it.

I started the vinegar supplement because one of my hens has loose stools, (a "loose caboose" as my mother used to say [​IMG] ) plus I know it's just generally good for them.

Any thoughts?
    thanks

2. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    How much vinegar are you putting in the water? If it gives the water a funny taste, they won't be as likely to drink it. Also, are you using Apple Cider Vinegar or WHite Vinegar? I have heard of many people using cider vinegar (I use it to keep the water from getting algae), but white vinegar is less common.

3. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the organic apple cider vinegar, and I put about a tablespoon to about a half-gallon of water. (I'm not big on measuring things, heh)

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I am big on measuring things and I use a tablespoon in 1 gal. My chickens, which is including 6 chicks drink that amount in about 4 days. On rainy days they do fine water puddles they like to drink from, but every 5th day I put out fresh water and vinegar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by