Vinegar?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazychick, Sep 18, 2011.

1. crazychick

crazychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Just wondered...can chicks be given apple cider vinegar in their water? I give it to the hens, but not sure if it's ok for the babies...

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Yep 1 tablesppon per gallon gave it to 2 different batches only had 2 out of 40 have pasty butt for a couple of days

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:X2 good stuff! I give it to mine also.

4. crazychick

crazychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Thanks for the replies-I will start tomorrow. One of them doesn't seem to be doing well...sits off by herself under the light, a little aloof. She does drink and eat a bit. Hoping the vinegar might pep her up...any other ideas? Vitamins? Sugar water?

5. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    What does it do? Just curious. :)

6. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    What does it do? Just curious. :)

From what I read, it's supposed to help clear up pasty-butt, improve their immune systems, and generally just keep them healthier. I might be wrong, but I believe someone said something about helping with algae in the water, too...? A few of my chicks had bad pasty butt but it cleared up pretty quick after putting apple cider vinegar in their water and giving them some oatmeal for a few days (also supposed to help).

They seem to like it, too. They are just short of a month old and have two waterers, one with vinegar and one without. They definitely prefer their apple "juice". I have to refill that waterer before the other and it's twice the size. [​IMG]

7. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apple Cider Vinegar is full of vitamins, minerals and trace elements. It helps to lower the pH level in the stomach, helping digestion and making it a less friendly for harmful pathogens. ACV detoxifies the blood and helps remove mucous from within the body, this is particularly useful since chickens are particularly prone to respiratory problems and ACV can be of benefit in helping birds to clear their airways.

Due to the acid content of ACV, it is an antiseptic, so yes it does prevent algae build-up in water containers. As well as killing germs, it is also a mild antibiotic as well, (that is, it contains bacteria that destroy infectious organisms).

DO NOT USE IT IN METAL CONTAINERS, because of the acid acting on the metal.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

8. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Apple Cider Vinegar is wonderful, I make sure to have a good couple of tablespoons of it every morning, followed by a good couple of tablespoons of local honey. Those are my health tonics. [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Sounds like coccidiosis. It would be wise to give them treatment if you see one fluffed up by itself not feeling well. This is the classic picture of coccidiosis:

sits by itself in a corner
    feathers fluffed up- it is cold
    won't eat or drink
    may or may not have bloody poo
    may or may not have been fed medicated feed
    may or may not have been exposed to the ground
    lethargic
    eyes closed

It is a swift killer of chicks. You can search BYC or ask questions if you are interested in treating for it.

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Baby chicks that are not thriving will stay foo by themselves. Try to give it a lttle more attention: is it drinking enough or eating enough? You might temp the appetite with some good quality yorgurt, like Stonyfield. Plain. Mix a small spoonful with crumbles. Without attention, little ones go quickly.

I would do the ACV any way--easy cleaning and good health promoter anyway. Perhaps a litlle sugar in the water--go look at the hatchery websites for amounts, about 1 tsp per gal. Give electrolytes if you have it. Google gatorade and see if that is used with chickens as i use it for lambs (lemonlime) Feed stores often have small packets of electroyte/mineral/vitamin concentrates to add to water.

Maybe a little soon for coccidia, if it hasn't been out doors yet. GOOD LUCK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by