Vining plants

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GloriaH, Jan 3, 2008.

1. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I would like to plant something to grow up on over my coop and run. I thought it would be a barrier between preditors and that way my dogs couldn't see the chickens from the side. I figure out of sight out of mind. Plus shade and wind protection. I thought of Ivy or Bittersweet. I want something that will be green through the winter.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have grape vines growing on mine.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
  4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Holy Snipees! Every plant in the world is on that list!
    I have tons of wild morning glories that pop up. Will it affect the chickens? How prone are they to eat them? I cannot make them all go away. The wild version is worse than kudzu!
    Eek! [​IMG]

Do the chickens not eat the grapes? Do they ever get into the old and fermenting grapes? Just wondering if you would get drunk chickens staggering around the yard...

CG

5. krazynoklahoma

krazynoklahoma Out Of The Brooder

I plant Lufa gourds and Birdhouse Gourds in the spring. they grow and vine like crazy. Although they dont stay green during winter the dead vines and huge leaves stay on unless u pull them off so you still have good covering.

The birdhouse gourds will crowd out the lufa gourds so plant them on seperate sides.

when the gourds dry out you will have some nice birdhouses. and sponges to wash with.

Melissa in Oklahoma

1 person likes this.
  6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Ok, I know this isn't a vine, but what about the tall Sunflowers along the fence either inside or outside the run. They could munch on the seeds.

Or, what about an heirllom edible, but also ornamental vine like Scarlet Runner pole beans. It's an annual, not a perennial, though. I didn't check the looooong toxic list yet, but I assume they would be ok, being a green bean. They are so easy to grow and may reseed for the next yr.

I know what you mean about the Morning Glory. Once you plant them they haunt you every year all over the place. LOL!

I like the Grapevine idea also.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

1 person likes this.
  7. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    Hmmmm...I've seen that list and consulted it once or twice, but the mention of "wild morning glory" in this thread has exposed a problem with it. The list it WRONG on at least one point: "wild morning glory," otherwise known as bindweed is NOT of the family Ipomea as this lists states. Bindweed's latin family name is Convolvulus.

I know quite a bit about this EVIL weed as it infests many public spaces and backyards in Chicago...including my yard when we first bought this house 6 years ago. It's a royal pain to get rid of -- whether trying to do so organically or with pesticides. If you have it on your property, you shouldn't lightly dismiss it, but start an eradication program now. http://www.pesticide.org/bindweed.html

So, if it's inaccurate on this, what else is it innacurate about? It really does seem as if there is an overwhelming number of plants a chicken can't eat!

Now...ahem...back to the original question.

Even in Tennessee, I don't think it is possible to grow any variety of vining plant that remains green throughout the winter. Have you tried calling your local Extension office for some advice on what may grow best in your zone?

Try to stay away from invasive non-natives such as Japanese honeysuckle. You'll regret planting it and your neighbors won't thank you either.

I hear that Hops grows quickly and produces a wonderful smelling flower. I think the flowers may also be made into a relaxing tea, or used for a batch of homebrew if you like beer! [​IMG]

You can grow a cold-hard kiwi fruit vine if you want something edible. Grapes have already been mentioned, too.

Blackberries and black raspberries both have wicked thorns on them, making them somewhat predator-deterrant, as well as producing some yummy fruit, too.

So many possibilities!

8. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    It wouldn't have to stay green all year if it still covered. I don't want anything that will die back.

9. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    How about creeping fig? If you ever decided to remove it from chicken wire, though, it would be an impossible task.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by