Vint FarmMaster Incubator-working condition, recent use, worth??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LA~Poulet, May 8, 2009.

1. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    I was talking to a 4H poultry leader today who has an old FarmMaster Incubator she is looking to get rid of... she said that it is from the 1930s and hatches better than the newer ones, she hatches waterfowl, chickens, turkeys, etc, in it.

What would something like that be worth? I googled FarmMaster Incubator and it brought me back to these forums, lol! For someone looking to just maybe use one in the future (no definite plans) would that be a good investment if the price was right or is it more of a collector's item and stick to a newer 'bater in the future if we decide to start trying to hatch?

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    What size is it? If she's still using it, I'd buy it. If it's a small one 100 and under though for large - I'd try a hundred but work upward, depending on budget and what she really wanted for it. Could be worth a ton to a collector. Don't mention that. I tried to get one once but the shipping was twice the price of the bator... sigh. Couldn't do it. Boy I wanted it though. Some of the old ones just keep on ticking.

3. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you'll find it to be a Leahy. Google will turn up photos. If so, it's solid redwood and she's very correct, once set, it will out-hatch a new sportsman. Highly unlikely to have auto turners, I've never seen one that did. They're larger & much heavier than sportsman so if you anticipate moving it often check out the weight. In my opinion, anything under $250 is a bargain & if it's as she describes I'd seriously consider $300.

4. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    Thank you for the advice! I will google Leahy. I think she said it was a FarmMaster 250 from the old Sears or Montgomery wards (or some other) catalog, but I may be mistaken.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If it's a big Leahy style yeah he's got the value totally right, I'd be begging for payments.

6. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by