vintage still air incubator. Tips

In a still air like that it makes a difference where you place your thermometer. The heat stratifies or layers in a still air and room temperature air is pulled in through the bottom vents as the heated air rises out the top vents. If measured at the level of the top of the eggs the 102 figure is probably correct resulting in an average at the center of the eggs of about 99.5.
In the smaller Brower 845 (16" diameter bator) the water pan is 5" in diameter. In the larger 846 (21" bator) the water pan is 6 1/2" diameter.I would think that 1/2 the floor would give you way too much humidity.
I have the Brower operating instructions on file and available to anyone who needs them. PM me with your email address and I'll get a copy on its way.
db

Last edited:
Everywhere I read, said to keep a temp of 102 in a still air.
I have the thermometer standing in a small jar of water. I can certainly move it down a degree or two.
It has been 8 months since that chick hatched so I cannot remember the details.

I did the water pan that you mention last time, and it just did not work.
I have a stainless pan in the bottom of this one, that is 1 inch deep, and I have 1/2 and inch of water in it.
This bator is a galvanized metal one, so that adds adifferent element to the process for sure.

I have a Brower Model 846. It is the big 100 egg incubator. I added a small computer fan to it. The temperature fluctuated from 97.7 to 102.4 the whole incubation. I ended up getting 18 out of 21 to hatch though.

I have a Brower Model 846. It is the big 100 egg incubator. I added a small computer fan to it. The temperature fluctuated from 97.7 to 102.4 the whole incubation. I ended up getting 18 out of 21 to hatch though.

I bought this incubator with the intentions to hatch in it. That was before I realized how crappy it is at holding high humidity.

Probably because of all the big holes on top?
This incubator was my sister in laws, husbands, fathers, and has an excellent track history hatching chicks.
I think the much larger water pan is helping matters greatly. Temp is staying exactly 100 degrees!

Probably because of all the big holes on top?
This incubator was my sister in laws, husbands, fathers, and has an excellent track history hatching chicks.
I think the much larger water pan is helping matters greatly. Temp is staying exactly 100 degrees!

That's cool, hopefully you can keep the incubator. I wanted mine for the novelty at first, but Had to hatch chicks in it.

What type of thermometer are you using?

Hi, I am looking for a parts and owners manual for a brower 846 incubator. Please if anyone has that could get one or copy. I need some parts for mine and am having a hard time finding them.
Thank you
Darla

Back
Top Bottom