Vinyl flooring and cold weather

apple4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
LaCrescent, MN
We live in Minnesota. We had planned to put vinyl flooring in the coop but while we were at Menards they told us that it will just crack over the winter and we will be replacing it. There are so many here that use it but are all of you in warm climates? If you are from a cold climate and use vinyl, how long does it last you before it breaks down? Thanks, Amy

Um, I'm not sure that salesperson knew what they were talking about, unless you were looking at something unusual. I think maybe they've never heard of anyone using it for this purpose and were just guessing. Lots of people in cold weather climates have used it, without that happening. I think if it did, that would be a hot topic thread!

Last edited:
That IS odd that they would say that... you'll find BYCers here as far north as Canada who use vinyl flooring just fine.
hu.gif

It is interesting, I was at Home Depot here in Northern Virginia this weekend and they told me the exact same thing. And we don't have Minnesotan winters here (well except for this year, that is). I still couldn't find a well priced remnant so I have decided to paint the floor in stead.

I say, use it. Those vinyl remnants are cheap--if they crack, replace them. I know that we put them on top of wooden floors, and they last for decades inside your house. Materials that crack will do it when they dry out, and that could happen in a house. If you're worried, try using floor vinyl tiles, instead.
big_smile.png

I've only been using it since mid last year but it made it through the winter with no cracks. I had a half roll remnant from another project so decided to try it, since if/when it does crack, I can just replace it with another piece. I do not use any other flooring. The vinyls IS the floor of my coop. The girls only go into the coop long enough to jump up onto the roost so I figured I didn't need anything else, and it is SO easy to scrape up the poop from the vinyl floor and dump it in the compost bin.

I glued vinyl flooring to the coop and have well below zero temps with no problems. It's holding up GREAT. No way would it crack in cold temps - that's just not true.
old.gif
Use it, throw some hay or whatever over the top and it makes clean-up a breeze. You'll love it.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from the Cities!

I'm wondering if they were thinking about the glue that would hold it down? I know that some construction adhesives don't do well under freezing, but I can't imagine why the vinyl itself would crack. In my own coop I just primed/painted the plywood floor. It cleans up slick as a whistle. Vinyl, I'm sure, would work fine too, I'm just cheap and had the paint out for the walls anyways.

PM me anytime if I can be of any help to you!

Well, vinyl flooring DOES get stiff and brittle in the cold. I know this cuz I've cracked some pieces trying to install them in probably 20F weather
tongue.png
So if you had a saggy baggy floor that moved when you walked on it I suppose there *could* be some risk of cracking.

I dunno... I am not a big vinyl fan (I only have it, in some pens, b/c they had it before I moved here and I have repaired it when necessary b/c it's easier than redoing the floor), I honestly think that primed and painted plywood works just as well for most purposes... but I don't see any major worries about using it in cold winters, either
tongue.png

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom