Vinyl Floors and Pine Shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by agirly4chicks, Mar 24, 2009.

1. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    My floors are vinly and I have put pine shavings down. But, after a few days most of the shavings are in the corners and against the wall and when I come in the coop the chickens run and slip and almost fall because the vinyl is now exposed. I put the vinyl down to make cleaning the floors easier but it is not easy on the chickens.

Any advise on what I can do to make it easier on them?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Deeper shavings.

I have the same problem when my bedding gets too thin; dumping in more solves it. You may have to rake it flat periodically, as well, to get rid of the ever-growing drifts in the corners.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. golden comets

golden comets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    I`m glad I found this because I was thinking of putting down vinyl and wondered about that and me slipping in the winter with snow or ice on my boots.Thanks you made up my mind for me

4. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I think vinyl flooring is great. I initially noticed more of a problem with bare spots, but since the birds have added some poop to the pine shavings, it doesn't shift around as much [​IMG] .

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    yeah, i have it too and you need a thick layer. They do scratch thru it and move it around, i take a rake maybe once a week and mix it up and move it back. It wasnt slippery in the winter, with the deep littler method Ive got about 10 inches in there right now. Very little in front of the pop door but not wet at all.

6. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I added more last night and plan to check it out when I get home tonight to see how it is doing.

7. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    I agree, deeper shavings. I've never had a problem with mine.

8. KSPixieChick

KSPixieChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2008
    I have vinyl as well and use the deep litter method with sawdust about 8-10 inches deep. The chickens are a bit cushioned when they knock each other off the roosts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by