Vinyl - good or bad

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reksat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chirping

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Just starting the plans for a coop. I've read and learned alot so far. The question is Will vinyl be a good floor covering or not ? Would like any advice before i enclose the coop before its to late.Thanks in advance.

2. i use vinyl on the floors of most of my coops. Makes it super easy to clean.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have vinyl in mine and I like it. I have shavings on top of that. I have a poop board under my roost to catch the majority of the poop, and I clean it off every 2-3 days. I occasionally throw DE or Stall Dry down into the shavings to help keep things dry. I haven't had a problem with odors or anything yet. I put the shavings in last July and will clean all the shavings out soon and put down fresh for the summer.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've had my vinyl for 3 years and love it.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I'm like oldchickenlady.

I have vinyl (cheap stuff from Home Depot) and it is a godsend. I use the deep litter method with pine shavings. Poop board under the roosts. Throw a little DE around every so often.

Love it!

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I even use it in the baby baby cardboard brooder boxes. Makes them last a lot longer. For the youn 'uns i put hand towels down over the vinyl and spread Start 'N Grow all over them. Chick poop washes right out with a short soak and a swoosh before going into the washing machine.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto.

8. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Hooray for vinyl heaped with shavings!

9. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    On the other hand, I simply painted my plywood floors with a good coat of paint, and that works well, too. However, I don't use the deep litter method. Perhaps vinyl is a better floor option for that approach.

10. nivtup

nivtup Songster

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Good

Do it, you will not regret it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: