Vinyl or Linoleum Flooring Install

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enggass, Jun 2, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I am thinking of getting some scrap flooring to put down on the floor of the coop I am building. I think I am going to be able to get a 7'x7' piece that will cover the entire floor. what is the easiest way to adhere this? Do I need to use a trowel etc., or can I just lay down some glue of some kind? Tips and advice appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. BarnChick

BarnChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Spirit Lake
    If you have not put the walls up yet, then just a thin layer of glue or none at all and nail the edges down, when the walls are in place, they will hold the edges of the vinyl flooring in place. If you already have the walls up, use glue, but only what is recommended by manufacturer and then you can come up the wall by about 2 inches and nail into studs to secure in place. This will make easy cleanup.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

You can glue it, or we just stapled ours down. Makes it easier to pull up and replace, if we need to.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Just attach with a few roofing nails.

[​IMG]

I used a wood trim around the top edge to keep them from picking at the edges.
    [​IMG]

Once it is covered by litter, you won't see it.

5. BackyardFarmMama

BackyardFarmMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Lower NY
    I used "liquid nails" just sort of sqirted all over in a pattern and nails at the edges (this was for a floor for a rabbit hutch)

6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks for all of the replies... Fortunately my walls are not up yet, so I can just secure with nails or staples and then the walls will secure it more permanently. I'd rather not mess with an adhesive if not necessary. Also will make removal or replacement easier as mentioned.
    Thanks!

7. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    What is the base floor? Plywood? Concrete? I used formica material on my floor and used self tapping screws to hold it down. (easy removal when necessarry)

8. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Base floor is just some OSB... What size does formica come in and where would I find it? Not a bad idea. Expensive? I can get some scrap 7'x7' linoleum/vinyl for around $15...(that's probably overpaying, I know)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by