Vinyl or wood shed for Midwestern weather?

This is my run the first winter I had chickens. For the roof, I put chicken wire over the metal frame, and then a heavy duty (black and silver) TSC tarp over that. It held up to the snow, though you can see the dips in between the metal roof bars. I broomed off the snow whenever we got more than a dusting. The tarps are still in great shape; one small rip where it rubbed against the green metal roof of the coop.

I used clear shower curtains to make a windbreak on the west (prevailing wind) side. Pre-grommeted, and they're on the second winter of use. I attached it with zip ties. Half of my run is held together with zip ties. :)

IMG_0641.JPG

I added on to the run last summer. I also put a solid roof over the original part, using polycarbonate sheets. 83% light transmission, thus the milky look. It wasn't cheap; about $52/per panel, and I needed 5. The good thing about it was there was enough left over in the drops to make the windbreak panels, which will last a long time and are easily removed and stored.

The new part has the blue (cheap) tarp on it. There are a few holes in the tarp now, but it held up surprisingly well. Again, I put chicken wire over the roof bars to help support the snow load, and broomed it off whenever we got some snow. That's the same shower curtain. When I take that down, I'll see if it's worth saving for a third year.

IMG_1852.JPG

I did wood as well- wind, rain, SNOW- it wasn't the cheapest option but my chickens were warm, draft free and dry all winter.

Also, (not sure if you had chickens this past winter or not) if you can wrap the run with plastic, tarps or similar (leaving ventilation at the top) they will go out in the run all winter and enjoy the extra space. My run was wrap and was always a minimum of 5-10 deg warmer than outside. They still hung out in the coop when it was below 0 deg F but they could go out if they wanted without the wind and snow.
I live in SE WI and i did a wood coop and my birds didnt have a problem all winter. I cover my run with tarps in the winter to.

Better than the average prefab -- at least the ventilation is in the right place up there at the roof peak. But probably not enough of it. :)
You can always add more. I have 2 windows that are usally open during the spring and summer then all the way around the top of the coop there is ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom