Vinyl/Plastic Chicken Wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by agirly4chicks, Feb 17, 2009.

1. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    What do you think about this?

Is it preadtor proof?

It seems cheaper and easier to work with. I am getting chicks tomorrow so I so time to work on the run.

Any help is needed. First time 25 year old chick mommy.

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I really do not like it. It is definitely not coon proof.

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    We use it as temporary fencing and to make small portable pens. But it is not as sturdy, critters can chew through it. We used metal fencing material for permanent enclosures.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Agree too light, and expensive.

5. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    I used it on my run in my backyard. It seems to work just fine so far. If you live in the country, and are more
    prone to predation you might not want it. It was actually cheaper than the metal wire at Lowes. It is easier
    to work with in my opinion, and it looks better. It's not for every application though.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I used it for months with no problem. When I had more money I bought 5' x 50' welded wire fence at Home Depot for $65. I dont have the predators some people have and my chickens go in every night so the plastic fence worked fine.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I've got both types. I've found it easier to work with but tears much more easily than wire. Chicken wire for predator protection is already questionable, so I wouldn't trust this stuff at all for much more than a temporary barrier to keep chickens in.

Important words: Chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, not predators out. This is even more true with the vinyl stuff.

8. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    if you can bend and tear it they can. they have razor sharp teeth that can cut pretty good.

9. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Quote:At first thought you meant the chickens:lol: I went out and checked mine and did not find any razor sharp teeth on any of them, so you must mean predators:lol:

10. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Thank you for all the feedback. I will look into the real deal metal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by