Vinyl shower curtain for privacy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wrestling_mom, Sep 22, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Is it safe to use an old shower curtain to make a "privacy fence" for our chickens. They should be laying that first egg any day now, and want to entice them, lol. What about muslin?

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Do they lay eggs in the nude? Just kidding, should be fine as long as they don't eat it when the sunlight breaks it down in little brittle pieces.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I just put up some thick cardboard from a box I cut up, and I cut a door shaped bit out of it for them to get in and out.

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I have pinned up a piece on curtain material in front of one of my nest boxes. They love it, EVERYONE started laying in there once the curtain was up. It's because hen's like to lay in a safe place, and what's safer than a hiding place? My little d'uccle also sleeps in there when it's really cold out, I figure its because the curtain creates a smaller space for her to heat up so she stays warmer.

5. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    curtains o the laying boxes is great I use burlap. I would skip the shower curtin and use something that breaths better.

6. cityfolkchicks

cityfolkchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Lower Eastern Shore
    ok so do you cut holes in the burlap or just let it hang? I have 6 nesting boxes in the coop. 3 on each side with dividers in between each. If I use a curtain of some type I would use 1 for each box, but unsure if they will go into the box with the curtain there. Does your chickens just push right thru the curtains?

7. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I cut mine up so it's kind of like strips hanging down. I find it better than one big piece because it stops it dragging out any straw and getting caught

8. cityfolkchicks

cityfolkchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Lower Eastern Shore
    That is what I thought about after I posted. I think they would use it if it was like that. I have 1 pullet that loves to explore anything, including a baby water snake that was in my yard. I mean it was tiny, so it probably couldn't have bit any part of her. Funny thing, she made a distress/warning call and my roo was right there. so cute.

9. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I also have strips of fly screen on the coop door that the chickens use all day to stop any flies getting in. Works well

10. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:I let the burlap hang from the top of the box, but only hang about 3/4 of the way so that the chickens can peak under the burlap and see there is a box under there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by