Violent chicks?? What to do?? Its getting ugly!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, May 9, 2011.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I have encountered a HUGE problem. I have a few different brooders set up. My chickies are sorted by age/size and that sort of thing. I ordered a batch from mcmurray, all living in harmony, sweet as can be. I hatched out a batch of frizzled cochins, and have 4 remaining, who I planned to keep, and put in my 4-5 week old silkies with them. 10 birds, in a large chicken hutch. The 4 frizzled cochins are now evil. all of the sudden. drew blood on all the silkies. I have never had angry/evil/violent chicks before so I am at a loss. So far, I have removed all the silkies, cleaned their wounds, mostly tail wounds, and applied ointment, and put them in a different brooder, with a red/dark light, because I know they are very attracted to the red blood...Trying to keep visuals to a minimum. And left the 4 nasties where they were. I would leave it at that, but, 2 of the 4 then attacked the other 2 frizzles, so now I dont know what to do. At what point do I determine I have devil chicks, and what do I do!? Is this somewhat normal? Any advice, ideas, help is welcome and appreciated!
    PS, the silkies are doing so well, eating drinking, poo-ing, no damage, but I am running out of time out homes and I prefer a little harmony!LOL

2. Madhouse Mumma

Madhouse Mumma New Egg

May 8, 2011
    From my experience, when chicks fight- they are being possesive about territory and food. Heard of the "pecking order"- well, thats chickens! I keep different breeds apart- mainly for breeding, but also because they tend to fight. Maybe thats what your chicks are doing?

3. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Yea, I have never really had to intervene before, but they are drawing lots of blood. Doesnt seem like the pecking order I am used to. [​IMG] bump for more replies.

4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    The above info is most common. Space and availability of food and water the primary causes of aggression in chicks. With that being said, sometimes they just get a little nutty for no good reason...you see it mostly with different breeds...sometimes one breed just don't seem to like the other. No rhym or reason to it, just chicken bigotry I guess! Now, since you have cochins going at fellow cochins that were raised together, then we are back to something environmental. Have another look at your set up...ample roosting/resting space? Plenty of room around the feeders and waterers? Constant supply of food and water? Lighting, too much? All of these can have a large impact on their behavior, but in the end, if this is not the problem, you may just have to isolate the trouble makers until they are a bit older and everyone can defend themselves better....HTH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by