violent neck convulsions - video link - vet stumped - help needed

jkwilliamson

Hatching
10 Years
May 20, 2009
hi there, my lovely 5 year old hybrid hen has started having violent involuntary neck convulsions whenever she eats anything. the vet has looked down her throat and it is clear. she is on antibiotics, in fact this video clip was taken when her crop was empty and I had just given her the pill. Has anyone seen it before. she is put off eating now because the reaction is strong and she is losing weight fast. I don't think I have long to solve this before it's too late for her. any suggestions or advice welcome. video link

I know right away what she is doing. She is adjusting her crop. Either she just ate way too much, or she 'could' have an impacted crop or sour crop. I see this all the time. Only once was it an indication of a crop issue (sour crop).

Provide ample grit at all times. She is trying to break down what her crop is full of. It could be grass, treats, etc. How long has she been adjusting her crop like this?

Okay I posted before reading everything - I do this sometimes. I apologize. She definitely has a crop issue - and it is not empty. You can see her crop clearly in the video. Check to see what it feels like. If hard and full of grains, it is impacted. If soft and full of watery fluid, it's sour crop.

Either is really tough to treat, and requires a lot of attention on your part. You will need to massage it either way, to help her move stuff around.

Last edited:
True..the is adjusting her crop....but if she is not eating and losing weight.then there is a problem somewhere. I would separate.her to a carrier and give her.scrambled egg...baby food or parrot handfeeding formula...Soft foods she won't have to grind. Check the back of her tongue for anything.caught around it...
What did the vet.check while she was their....fecal...etc

hi there, the vet did check her faecal matter and said it was fine. he also felt her crop. i have been giving her chick crumbs recently to try and bulk her up. i have seen other chickens do this when they have stuffed themselves but she is just empty. i will go back and check again though, also the back of her tongue. I'll give her some scrambled eggs too. the thing is she was doing that just after I gave her one small pill, she had nothing else at all to eat. he did check down her throat and said it was clear but its clear from both of you that it is a crop issue. they always have grit and oyster shell available. I'll go and check her now - thanks both of you.

Most vets know absolutely nothing about chickens. Actually, we probably know more about it than the vet does. :oops:

Unless of course he is a bird vet. I have heard of vets not knowing so many times. She does appear to have a full crop. Whatever it is - it is to do with the crop.

I had one instance of sour crop that was cured with massages, yoghurt and TLC. I had chicks that had impacted crop and they all perished :( They ate shavings and nothing could save them. I tried everything.

Back
Top Bottom