violent sex offender rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BellydancerNC, Jun 28, 2011.

1. BellydancerNC

BellydancerNC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    .. so our original flocked was wiped out due to a neighbors murder hounds ... they have started to replace them , on saturday we recieved 5 RIR hens 4 months old and a rooster who is a yr. . he has been trying to take what my 4 yro says is mean piggyback rides . this morning he totally jacked up one of the little hens her eye is straight up gone and I think her jaw is broken . I went out to try and cull her but almost puked and couldn't go through with it , what should I do ...ahhhh stressed out here

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Get rid of the rooster....

If the hen is still eating and drinking, I say give her a chance as may recover if she has the will to live, just keep her wounds clean, keep her warm and maybe give some antibiotics if you have them.

As for her beak if its off centre you may have to trim it regularly in the future as it won't wear down naturally.

3. Gen9

Gen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    I'm new at this, I couldn't tell you what I'd actually do, but my first thought is if you don't want to cull her, get her isolated, maybe bring her in the house until she gets better. Feed her soft mash. Get that roo's nails filed down and hope he doesn't do much damage next time. I just found out that I might have 2 cockerels, yippee. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you better advice, that's what I'd do, is try to nurse the hen back to health. If she's suffering pretty bad, it's better to cull for sure.

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i wouldn't stand for an aggressive roo, especially if he's hurting your hens that badly. it's not fair to the hens. and if he's that bad around his own ladies, i wouldn't trust him with your 4 year old. he'd either be soup or sold if he lived with me. sorry also about your hen. it's really your decision since you're the one who can see how badly injured she is... chickens can bounce back from a LOT, but the broken jaw concerns me. she'd probably be fine with just one eye, but if her jaw doesn't heal correctly, she may never be able to feed herself properly. you could always isolate and treat her for now, and make the decision later when you can tell better how it's healing. wish you the best.

5. BellydancerNC

BellydancerNC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    this is what she is looking like after I tried to clean her a bit
    [​IMG]

6. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    I would get rid of the Roo. Weather you made soup or fried him up or gave him away. None of the girls need to me hurt like that.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Get rid of the roo, and give hen a chance and make sure she's eating and drinking. I would make mush out of her feed, or spoon feed her.

8. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I agree, roosters do not need to be that aggressive. And personally I would cull the hen, its a hard thing to do but its more painful for me to see something suffer.

9. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    can you keep the rooster seperate for a while to give yourself a chance to think about option?

10. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Are you sure it was the roo that did this to her? I've never seen an injury that severe inflicted by a rooster. If so, I certainly get the roo out of there asap. The hen might recover with time IF she is still able to eat - if she is unable or unwilling to eat, she will probably not survive, but give her a chance. Broad spectrum antbiotics should be given to prevent infection, but do put her in a place by herself in the house and give her some TLC for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by