Violet: Rhode Island Red- 6 weeks- pullet? or no?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rhaj, Jun 17, 2010.

1. rhaj

rhaj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    I have 3 Rhode Island Reds that many people thought were all roos... some people did say that RIR are notorious for getting early combs and that we couldn't necessarily go by that. I took some quick videos of each of them, thinking maybe it would be better to see them with. I am hoping that someone can see something other than the comb that would suggest pullet or roo.

This one is Violet, I think my most likely one to be a pullet. The other 2 videos still need to be uploaded and I need to take my daughter to dance class, so I'll be back later with those.

Thoughts on Violet?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ives6797/?action=view&current=004-13.mp4

EDIT- Nov 2010: VIOLET is a laying HEN.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I still say cockerel. lol My pullets never had combs this early. Only when they started to lay did any sign of a comb come into view.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Production Red Rooster...

Chris

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep its a roo. Another indication that it is a roo is its white facial area, pullets have browner faces, my Speckled Sussex are the same way.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    That is definitely a cockerel.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    All four of my RIR (and my four leghorns) are pinking up a bit near the base of the comb at seven weeks, and since they were supposedly vent sexed (MPC) I doubt they are ALL roosters (if they are, wow am I going to have fun). However, none of mine has a white face and I notice all of mine are considerably bigger than the one in the video. I think I feed them too many treats [​IMG]. I've heard here that roos can be 'late bloomers'. I am staying in roo-denial until last moment. [​IMG]

I can't guess on your chicken - would not be fair since I'm a relative newbie. We'll just have to wait till they lay eggs/crow/grow out those saddle feathers!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. rhaj

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    This is bad. How does this happen? 3 out of 3 when they are supposed to be 90-95% accurate???

I had high hopes for Violet because her comb really doesn't look much different from my red sex links combs...

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Well if we both have all roo rir's we can share a virtual drink together! [​IMG] I'm not rehoming mine until I hear a crow or see saddle feathers, as I said earlier. It's all educational to me (although rehoming will be a PITA if it's necessary). If you don't rehome violet, make sure to update in a few months as to what s/he turned out to be.

9. rhaj

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Just wanted to update this post in case anyone came across it on a search. Violet is most definitely NOT a cockerel. She is a LAYING HEN.

10. ShadowNIN

ShadowNIN Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    I know this is a reaaaaallyyyy old thread, but is there anyway you could repost the pic of violet at 6 weeks. I might be be in a similar situation and would hate to give mine away if it's really a she!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by