Violet wyandotte ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emjay, Aug 20, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I was told recently that to get a violet, one had to breed a SLW with a BLRW , then breed back the daughter to the dad, to get a small % of possible violets.

my question is this.

I had a BLRW roo,(he leaves for his new home tomorrow) who mated with my SLW hen. I was able to hatch one of their eggs in April (a hen did, not me [​IMG] )
    that baby was a pullet........

that girl is of no real wyandotte pure color description.

I had two other eggs just hatch, from the BLRW roo and the SLW hen. One is a pullet, one is a roo, who has silver highlights.

I am hoping to get my hands on some SLW pullets.

If I bred the roo ( with the BLRW dad and the SLW mom ) to the SLW hens, would there be a chance of violets??

i hope I haven't confused anyone, haha. I hope i worded it good enough

thanks.

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    A Silver Laced is White with black lacing, a Violet Laced is white with blue lacing.

3. nzchicke

nzchicke Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    What do you call a lavender laced silver then? [​IMG]

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    A Lavender Laced , if they exist. Not too hard to make. If using Coronation Sussex as your Lavender source you need to get rid of the Wheaten genes; if Araucana you have more type problems, as well as the 'e' gene and dark legs.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    If your cockerel inherited the blue gene, then yes. If not, you'll need to try again with a BLRW.

6. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    thanks catwalk, here's hoping he inherited some blue genes !!!!! and here's hoping I get those SLW pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by