Virgin Chicken owner...the beginning of the journey!

MrsMommaB

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
Colorado
I just got chicks for the first time ever this spring! I pondered it for months before I did it because I just wasn't sure if I'd love it or not. I wanted them for eggs and for the experience for my kids..... Well I LOVE IT!!! And so do the kids! I got 6 pullets from our local feed store, Murdoch's, and they quickly became our pets. I have spent way more money than planned and more time than planned but the time wasn't a requirement...it was because I love just sitting and watching them be silly.

Anywho.... here's our journey so far.....

Hi! Congrats from one chicken newbie to another! I'm just getting started too. I also enjoy them more than I thought I would. I find it oddly peaceful to just sit with them. :)

Yes it is very calming to hang out with them. They are so silly too. Knowing not very much about chickens though, everything that happens is new and funny to me! I am downloading some pics to add here in a few..... I'd love to see yours too!

Congrats on your new babies!!! I got the same coop and I totally reconfigured the whole thing.. You could probably fit two hens in that but I was able to fit 4 big hens in the coop after I gutted the inside, boarded all the sides and rebuild it to lift it off the ground and put one long perch inside, but it's really cute coop! I'll post picturesnof mine incase you might need to redo it in the future :)

yes, i'd LOVE to see it! Thank you!!! I have been thinking about redoing it as well but wasn't sure where to begin. the coop is open to a big run but as the chicks are getting bigger, I can see it won't be large enough to even house all of them at night. (in my opinion anyways...but they're spoiled).

yes, i'd LOVE to see it! Thank you!!! I have been thinking about redoing it as well but wasn't sure where to begin. the coop is open to a big run but as the chicks are getting bigger, I can see it won't be large enough to even house all of them at night. (in my opinion anyways...but they're spoiled).

Lol mine are too! Spoiled! If you did what I did I'm sure you can fit all six of them because they will be close :)
Here's what I did :) and my girls are very happy with it!

See the one with the broken bum? I no sooner got her home and she was falling when trying to walk. I could've taken her back but I decided I wanted to try to save her.... There was a lot more wrong over the next several weeks than just "they were pecking at her a lot" like what murdoch's told me....

Day 1!!! April 9th.
2 barred rock, 2 blue andalusians and 2 white leghorns.

See the one with the broken bum? I no sooner got her home and she was falling when trying to walk. I could've taken her back but I decided I wanted to try to save her.... There was a lot more wrong over the next several weeks than just "they were pecking at her a lot" like what murdoch's told me.... Day 1!!! April 9th. 2 barred rock, 2 blue andalusians and 2 white leghorns.
Awe!!soo cute!! I remember when my where that widdle!!! Here are my girls they are 15 weeks old :) two speckled Sussex and two mottled javas

Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! I love them!!
Your coop looks fantastic! I think 6 chickens would be comfortable in it if it was completely enclosed like you did. They pretty much just sleep in there so they'd be fine. Thanks for the pics!

Back
Top Bottom