Virgin Endeavour with Chickens in Brisbane Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bangcluckHilton, Oct 26, 2013.

1. bangcluckHilton

bangcluckHilton Out Of The Brooder

Firstly, I've been voyeuring all your gorgeous chook photos & have been dreaming of chooks every night.
    After literally years & years of wanting chooks & being told NO by my husband, our local childcare centre had Henny Penny Hatching bring an incubator into the classroom for two weeks so the children could witness the hatching process.
    At the end of the two weeks, the baby chicks were free to good homes & still my husband said NO. But........ my four old son came home & said "Daddy there is just one lonely little black chicken & all the others are white & yellow. I really want that little black chicken PLEEEAASSSSEEEEEEE!!!"
    Dads response "Alright mate, I'll build you a coop!"
    Can you believe it????

SO we brought home the only little black one, the smallest & youngest which happened to be blonde & 3 little brown chicks. So I'm told I have a Black Australorp, A Light Sussex & three brown Lohmans.
    They are now 8 weeks old & living in the enormous coop with enclosed run that I've nicknamed The Bang-Cluc Hilton.
    I'm pretty sure the black & the white one are both roosters but I've been told that at 8 weeks of age, it's too early to tell. Husband reckons he heard an attempt to crow this morning but not sure from who?!

Thanks for the wealth of information & community sharing that I've witnessed on the site to date. I'm sure I will be calling upon the collected wisdom of you experienced "chicken people" very soon.

Regards
    Deanna

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad to hear DH caved in let you guys have some chickens! You should've got your 4yo to ask him long ago [​IMG] The chicks in your avatar, I'm assuming it's yours? The black one looks like a little cockerel to me. Post some pics of them in the What Breed Or Gender is This? and let the members there have a look and tell you what you've got. Enjoy the site!

3. bangcluckHilton

bangcluckHilton Out Of The Brooder

Thanks sumi
    I think I'm pretty happy to stay naively ignorant of gender at this stage cause the black one is my favourite & local council laws don't allow roosters in suburbia.
    DH wants a spit & a bag of charcoal for his birthday next week but I've placed 3m exclusion zone on him from the coop!! Haha

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    [​IMG] from Washington State, USA!

1 person likes this.
  6. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Glad to have you join us!

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Happy you joined us!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

BYC... Fair Dinkum
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] there are two Australian threads on BYC, you may want to check and see what people in your area are up to. Australia, six states & one funny little Island, and

Australians- where are you?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by