Virgin hatcher here, I need some reassuring words

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LeMasterParty, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Okay... here it is in a nut she'll

Started with 42 eggs
    4 weren't fertile
    2 passed early on ( about day 3/4)
    2 passed later on ( about day 12/13)
    6 welsummers eggs weren't fertile but didn't learn that until I went to lockdown ( yay for water candling)

So, everyone else had movement and appeared "healthy" so we locked down.

Temp is at 100 , and humidity is hovering at about 70...

Are we gonna be okay?

I'm worried the humidity is too high, I didn't mark the air sacks but did pay attention to their growth and they did grow.. and appear to be the right size based on the bagillions of illustrations I looked at online. Lol. Idk how I could lower the humidity or just give it a day to work out and watch it from there....

2. Oh hatch date is Sunday.. so we are technically in day 19 as of 8pm tonight.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Take a deep breath. those numbers all look good for lockdown. I actually strive for 75% humidity at lockdown, so 70% is fine in my opinion.

I have two questions purely out of curiosity. What kind of incubator are you using (still or forced air), and what humidity range did you have during the first 17 days?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I also prefer a high humidity.

-Kathy

5. Forced air..

And my humidity was on the higher end of 40-50% never lower than 40 for a few hours if ever.. and generally about 50/55 ish though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by