Virgin Hatcher!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sutherland906, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Sutherland906

Sutherland906 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    I don't plan on hatching often, so I decided to make the first one count... I got lavender orp eggs! Because they were shipped (and I'm not a pro), I also put 6 of my own eggs in. Figuring if there was an issue, I could determine whether it was my doing or the fact of having shipped eggs. I'm at the 2 week mark now and everything is coming along great. 16 of 18 eggs are progressing nicely, but as I'm nearing lockdown I have questions..

1. I put them in the bator at 12 am on 2/23. How exact does timing need to be? Can I do it 2 hours early? When they went in, I had the next day off of work.. so I didn't take into consideration the timing of lockdown. Just wondering what/if there is any risk doing it a couple hours early so I still get some sleep.

2. Also, I found one of my girls sitting on a few days after I started the incubator. She has since pushed a few out and now is down to 1. So I'm kind of unsure of what to do. Providing it hatches, should I bring it inside with the others? Bring a few of the others out to join her and her chickie? I feel bad taking her baby away, but would she accept my hatched chicks as her own? Hatched babies will be here a couple days sooner.. If she would accept them, would that be something to do immediately, or once her baby hatches?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You can lock down a little early if you need to, it won't negatively affect the eggs :)

As for your hen, you could just leave her with the one egg and she'll be happy as a clam with the one chick and raise it. If you'd rather she have more than one, and your eggs are ahead of hers, the best thing to do would be to take her egg and swap it for some of the ones in your incubator and let her have those, and finish hatching her lone egg yourself. The reason being that if you give her some eggs or chicks from your hatch and don't take the one she has, she will abandon it to care for the chicks she has and won't stay on the nest to hatch it, and if you try to give her incubator babies when hers has hatched, she might not accept them and even if she does, they may be out of the imprinting window and won't imprint on her.

3. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Awesome, thank you! I didn't think a few hours would make a big difference, but better to check anyway.

I was under the impression that a lone chick wouldn't do well without other chickies.. is that not the case? I don't mind her taking care of the single baby at all. I was just concerned for the lone chick's well being.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Lone chicks don't do well if they're raised by humans, but by broodies it's fine because the broody is always with it. It's a little hard on them when the mom stops caring for it at about six or eight weeks because it won't have any hatchmates to hang around with as it gets settled into the flock, but otherwise it's okay for a broody to have one chick.

5. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Thanks, I had no idea.. it makes sense though. I will have the others to integrate in as well.. Will the lone chick have an issue being integrated with the others if it's raised alone? I won't be keeping all 16 (providing they all hatch), but it would certainly be out numbered.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It should be okay, there will be some scuffling to determine the pecking order but that should be it.

7. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Thank you, I appreciate the help. Now, if only I had patience.. I'm pretty sure my pregnancies went faster than this. I can't wait til these little guys & gals hatch!! :D

8. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    First chick is here! Normal for this little one to stumble around and lay down from exhaustion? Logical, but I wanted to make sure. [​IMG]

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Congrats! Totally normal, hatching is a tiring business :)

10. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Thanks! 5 so far, all my own eggs. All happy & healthy. 0 lavender though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by