Virgin Hens? What If Girls Don't Comply?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by devora, Mar 8, 2012.

1. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

No rooster in our crew. All the girls squat for me...except one. She runs away, fast. She lays.

For those of ya'll w/ roosters, does a girl ever avoid the mating process? What would be happening to this hen in a flock w/ a roo? Just curious!

2. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    In Some cases (depending on the Roo) he would jump on her, most wouldnt though..... In most cases she would squat to the roo.... but not to you...

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    In my present flock there is one likes to run from the rooster. She does eventually stop and squat I guess she likes to play hard to get. But I have never noted that one completely avoids mating. I suppose in a bigger flock maybe it could happen.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I had a Brahma hen who would run away from the rooster, never squatting for him. She absolutely detested his attention, and was very upset when he would stalk her. I posted on BYC asking if she could be gay, and the thread got severely reprimanded and locked, some uninformed people not understanding that animals can also be gay as well as people, and it's biological, not a moral issue.

Now, I have one SLW who will fight off my Cochin roo with all her fighting equipment rather than submit to him. I do believe, since I've observed it in my own flock, that some hens are simply not receptive to the sexual attentions of a rooster.

But the fact your hen won't squat for you has no relation to how she would respond to a rooster.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Well let me put it this way, Some of my girls are one step behind Mother Teresa and some are not acting in a very lady like manner, by that I mean they run to him. I have seen this behavior by a couple of my girls and could not believe my eyes.[​IMG]Two of my Barreds and 1 RIR just stay away from him and don't have a feathered ruffled on them as some have a few out of place and some are very disheveled. I guess 16 girls and only one of him he can't get to all of them but some make it real easy on him. Talk about "The Bachelor".[​IMG]

He has to let them come to him because he is so big(white Plymouth rock) close to ten pounds. He can't catch a snail or slug on a cold day. He is a good boy though,he really looks after his girls.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Mine all seem to be cooperative but one. She would run away and would squeal like crazy. He put up with that for a while then he just did what he wanted to. Now she does not fuss anymore. Funny thing is she is the one that went broody. [​IMG]

7. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

Sam, our beautifully dumb-as-a-sack-of-hammers 9 month old Brown Leghorn, is very attentive to the ladies but I've noticed that while most of the time, his "girlfriends" are receptive, the 2 SLWs have absolutely zero interest in doing anything with him except bossing him around. And today one of the BO that is usually receptive to him scooted away in protest. I think my ladies are like most ladies! ;) Sometimes yes, sometimes, NO!

8. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    mine just ran off for a week and then began to mate .leave it too them

9. GoodwinMaine

GoodwinMaine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Buxton, Maine
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by