Virginia Mountain Horse Barn Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ailurophile23, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    I'm so excited - we bought a new farm and my chickens get a brand new coop - in the horse barn no less and much larger than their current set-up. This has been the most amazing process to watch so I thought I'd share some pictures of the coop portion of the build - it's not quite done but we are so close - and moving day is fast approaching. This coop is actually one of twelve 12'x12' stalls (with 9' ceilings) in the barn (6 per side). It is on the south-facing side of the barn and there is a wing off this side which will eventually be fenced in and become their new 11'x36' run.

Here's the wing that I have been promised will eventually become the chicken run - the door into the coop is right behind the back tire of the tractor:
    [​IMG]

Here's the door from the run to the coop - it swings into the coop and can be latched open to the inner wall between the coop and a horse stall. There will also be an outer door that is solid for colder weather that can be latched open against the outside barn wall:
    [​IMG]

Here's the door from the coop into the barn - this swings into the coop and can be latched to the wall on the left (the wall between the coop and a horse stall). You can also see the big sawdust bin directly across the aisle from the coop (storing lumber for the moment):
    [​IMG]

Here's the roosting area, made from barn building scraps - this and the two visible walls and the nestboxes will be painted and there is a ladder up to the roosting area just off to the left:
    [​IMG]

Here's the nest boxes, also from barn building scraps - we are only bringing 7 of our hens (sold 5 to a friends) but obviously someone is planning for chicken math to happen:
    [​IMG]

Everything needs a coat or two of paint inside the coop but I have plenty of paint left over from painting in the house - just need a warm day. We also plan to build some PVC waterers and feeders eventually.

I'll keep posting pics as we get more done. And I have to give a huge Thank You to my husband and my father-in-law as they have built this beautiful barn and coop with only a little help on a few days from friends - it's taken 3 months so far. And a big Thank You to all the folks on BYC - there are so many terrific ideas on here and so much support. To see pics of the whole barn build, follow the link in my signature.

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Your chickens don't know how lucky they are. Nice set up! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Thanks! This site has provided so many ideas for this coop. I just hope the chickens like it as much as I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by