VirkonS - anyone use this? Talk to me about it!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wynette, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got a rooster suffering from some sort of crud (for lack of knowing exactly what it is) on his legs (see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=244582 ) and I've been trying to figure out how to help him since September. It reached an emergency point when, just last week, my hens began to savagely peck his legs. I came home to find him standing on the roost in a pool of blood. Odd thing is that it had actually been getting better.

Anyway, it's been recommended to me by a chicken health expert to clean his legs, soak them in Hibiclens solution, air dry, then spray with 2% VirkonS solution. The VirkonS comes in tablets, which I've ordered and expect them to be here tomorrow or Thursday. I have high hopes this stuff will really do the job, along with the Hibiclens. But, after doing some research on it, man, this stuff sounds like a miracle! It even kills off Athlet's Foot and fungal infections in TREES! Has anyone used it? What are your thoughts?

POULTRY PRODUCTION/RATITE PRODUCTION
    CONTROLS: Viruses of Newcastle Disease, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Bursal Disease, Avian Laryngotracheitis, Marek’s Disease, Egg Drop Syndrome, Avian Influenza, Turkey Herpes Virus and Duck
    Viral Enteritis.
    Fungi: (molds and yeasts – Aspergillus flavus, Aspergillus fumigatus and Candida albicans.
    Bacteria: Streptococcus pyogenes, Campylobacter pyloridis, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium, Salmonella choleraesuis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus
    aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Bordetella avium and Mycoplasma gallisepticum.
    HATCHERIES: Virkon S at 1% solution can be used for cleaning and disinfecting hatchers, setters, evaporative coolers, humidifying systems, ceiling fans, chicken houses, transfer trucks, trays, and
    plastic chick boxes (use 2% solution for Mycoplasma, Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus fumigatus).
    Virkon S at 1-2% solution is recommended for use in fogging (wet misting) operations as a supplemental measure either before or after regular cleaning and disinfecting procedures. Fog (wet mist) until the area is moist using automatic foggers according to manufacturer's use directions
    BROILER/BREEDER HOUSES: Remove chickens, feed, and water troughs, then remove manure and litter. Spray floors and walls with Virkon S at 1% solution. Thoroughly wash waterers and feeders with
    a 1% solution of Virkon S (use 2% solution for Mycoplasma, Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus fumigatus). After contact for 10 minutes, rinse with water. Do not house poultry or use equipment until treatment has dried.

FOR AIR SANITIZING: Use Virkon S at 1-2% solution and fog until surfaces are moist. Allow at least 2 hours before entering treated area. Rinse foggers and sprayers with water following use.

PROCESSING PLANTS: Spray Virkon S at 1% solution to disinfect and clean walls, ceilings and floors.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    dlhunicorn just recommended it to someone for a moldy straw reaction- I got the impression the Diana knows all about it. Perhaps PM her?

Sorry about the rooster, wish I could be of help.

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yep, Diana is who I meant when I mentioned a "chicken health expert." Was just hoping someone who has used it would weigh in. Thanks!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Wynette, I would be interested in the information too; since Thor is still suffering the same affliction.
    Looking back on all the different things I (we) have tried, he got the most improvement from athlete's foot spray. I may start using it again tonight and just continue treatment for longer than I did last time - a couple of weeks instead of four days.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey there!

Since this stuff is supposed to cure Athlete's foot, I bet that will work for you. I'm super anxious to give this a try. I've got the Hibiclens already and should have the Virkon soon!

6. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I work at a lab where we use Vircon. Note that in the usage notes you posted it said to remove chickens, feed and watering troughs.

Vircon is potent stuff, and it's listed as a corrosive. It takes the paint off our lab floors. If you're going to use it on a live chicken, I strongly recommend you dilute it a LOT!

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yep, I was told to use it as 2% solution. Thanks, possumqueen!

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:yes I am A supervisor at a scientific center-it is very corrosive to stainless steel. We have to use fume hoods to create the diluted solution. In its powdered form- it can blind you. When it has been diluted it is still very much a skin irratant and hazard. It only has an active shelf life of 7 days after dilution. I would dilute more than what they suggested-I would only use it to clean surfaces and to decontaminate pens and runs and coops.

9. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    We use a 1% solution, and it is STILL taking the paint off the floors.

And I, too, mix it under a hood.

Wynette, rereading your initial post, I'm wondering if your boy has scale mites?

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm positive he doens't have mites. Now, this Virkon is the VirkonS, not the original formula. The tablet form. What I posted in my original post was info. I found on the powder formula of Vrkon - it must be a completely different formulation, because I know that Diane (dlhunicorn) is using this and has for some time with no ill effects. Thanks for your concern! I'll most definitely do more checking around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by