Virtually free water dispenser HELP! (& almost done with my pen/coop)

Mrs. Green Thumbs

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Santa Maria, California
So I have to refill my 4 girls little old brooder water & feed dispenser like 2 times a day now and that..... is .....getting....OLD! So I have been searching today for an alternative for the water and feed dispensers. I found this

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Just+say+"no"+to+the+$60+chicken+waterer.-a0210169526

And I thought... oh that's easy I can do that!!! Even if I can't get my hand's on a water jug I can DEF find something like it, and for my 4 girls Iv got a can full of plastic recyclable containers all washed out and just begging me to find a new use for them! Even if I don't have to fill it for 2 or 3 day's at a time that better than twice a day! I think I'm going to try to make a feed dispenser too. Can I get some tips from people about this little project I'm starting for myself? The tips on that link say to paint the part's to protect the plastic from the UV damage. What kind of paint to you suggest? She suggest's white, Id like that (it'll match the coop) but I'm worried about the water coming into contact with the paint. Should I use a special paint? And where can I get a pan? Maybe a large planter liner? And one of my old nursery pot's? With a bottle that fit's down in there? What do you think?

Have you looked at the pvc feeders and waterer? I built two feeders and a waterer for my run and tractor. I use nipples that I got from Neil Greenbaugh, a fellow bycer. I use a gallon juice jug for my waterer inside the tractor with a nipple in the cap. My 8 girls love it and when it is nasty weather out, I dont have to run out to fill anything as they are good for a couple of days. All were inexpensive and easy to make. I have two nipples on the pvc waterer in the run as they drink more out there when they are foraging. The nice part is the screw on caps that keep out all the junk! Check them out!

Mrs. Green Thumbs :

So I have to refill my 4 girls little old brooder water & feed dispenser like 2 times a day now and that..... is .....getting....OLD! So I have been searching today for an alternative for the water and feed dispensers. I found this

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Just+say+"no"+to+the+$60+chicken+waterer.-a0210169526

And I thought... oh that's easy I can do that!!! Even if I can't get my hand's on a water jug I can DEF find something like it, and for my 4 girls Iv got a can full of plastic recyclable containers all washed out and just begging me to find a new use for them! Even if I don't have to fill it for 2 or 3 day's at a time that better than twice a day! I think I'm going to try to make a feed dispenser too. Can I get some tips from people about this little project I'm starting for myself? The tips on that link say to paint the part's to protect the plastic from the UV damage. What kind of paint to you suggest? She suggest's white, Id like that (it'll match the coop) but I'm worried about the water coming into contact with the paint. Should I use a special paint? And where can I get a pan? Maybe a large planter liner? And one of my old nursery pot's? With a bottle that fit's down in there? What do you think?

I read the article.
I can't picture how the bottle interacts with the 5 gallon container???
Also, How is it a 5 gallon waterer if they is filling the bottle and not the bucket?​

Last edited:
I can see how this would work - fill the giant water bottle and lift it over into the bucket. Or drill a hole in the bottom of it and use a cork for filling. The bucket distributes the water into the pan thru drilled openings.

But on byc somewhere there is a how-to involving just the 5 gallon bucket, with one 1/4 inch hole drilled half an inch from the bottom, and a large plant saucer. I adapted that as I had a 5 gal w permanently attached lid and a 2 inch pour spout with cap. (it held aqueous silicone, non toxic and I rinsed it well.) Drilled 1 hole, set it in an oversized plant pot, opened spout cap and filled it up. Just rinsed the whole thing out with bleach water yesterday to clean bucket and bowl in case of contamination. Total construction time - 10 minutes. Total material cost - free, the bucket was used for work and the planter had been sitting around empty for a year or 2.

I'll post a pic when I have time to take one. Oh, since my plant pot is rounded, when the bucket gets low it tips to one side, so I can see from the house that they are low on water.

Here's the link mentioned above: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-waterer.html

Subscribing
to this topic. Interested in seeing the picture of the planter version.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom