Virtually free water dispenser HELP! (& almost done with my pen/coop)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mrs. Green Thumbs, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have to refill my 4 girls little old brooder water & feed dispenser like 2 times a day now and that..... is .....getting....OLD! So I have been searching today for an alternative for the water and feed dispensers. I found this

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Just+say+"no"+to+the+$60+chicken+waterer.-a0210169526

And I thought... oh that's easy I can do that!!! Even if I can't get my hand's on a water jug I can DEF find something like it, and for my 4 girls Iv got a can full of plastic recyclable containers all washed out and just begging me to find a new use for them! Even if I don't have to fill it for 2 or 3 day's at a time that better than twice a day! I think I'm going to try to make a feed dispenser too. Can I get some tips from people about this little project I'm starting for myself? The tips on that link say to paint the part's to protect the plastic from the UV damage. What kind of paint to you suggest? She suggest's white, Id like that (it'll match the coop) but I'm worried about the water coming into contact with the paint. Should I use a special paint? And where can I get a pan? Maybe a large planter liner? And one of my old nursery pot's? With a bottle that fit's down in there? What do you think?

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Have you looked at the pvc feeders and waterer? I built two feeders and a waterer for my run and tractor. I use nipples that I got from Neil Greenbaugh, a fellow bycer. I use a gallon juice jug for my waterer inside the tractor with a nipple in the cap. My 8 girls love it and when it is nasty weather out, I dont have to run out to fill anything as they are good for a couple of days. All were inexpensive and easy to make. I have two nipples on the pvc waterer in the run as they drink more out there when they are foraging. The nice part is the screw on caps that keep out all the junk! Check them out!

3. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    Quote:Do you have a link to this? Thanks!

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Mrs. Green Thumbs :

So I have to refill my 4 girls little old brooder water & feed dispenser like 2 times a day now and that..... is .....getting....OLD! So I have been searching today for an alternative for the water and feed dispensers. I found this

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Just+say+"no"+to+the+$60+chicken+waterer.-a0210169526

And I thought... oh that's easy I can do that!!! Even if I can't get my hand's on a water jug I can DEF find something like it, and for my 4 girls Iv got a can full of plastic recyclable containers all washed out and just begging me to find a new use for them! Even if I don't have to fill it for 2 or 3 day's at a time that better than twice a day! I think I'm going to try to make a feed dispenser too. Can I get some tips from people about this little project I'm starting for myself? The tips on that link say to paint the part's to protect the plastic from the UV damage. What kind of paint to you suggest? She suggest's white, Id like that (it'll match the coop) but I'm worried about the water coming into contact with the paint. Should I use a special paint? And where can I get a pan? Maybe a large planter liner? And one of my old nursery pot's? With a bottle that fit's down in there? What do you think?

I read the article.
    I can't picture how the bottle interacts with the 5 gallon container???
    Also, How is it a 5 gallon waterer if they is filling the bottle and not the bucket?​

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  5. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I can see how this would work - fill the giant water bottle and lift it over into the bucket. Or drill a hole in the bottom of it and use a cork for filling. The bucket distributes the water into the pan thru drilled openings.

But on byc somewhere there is a how-to involving just the 5 gallon bucket, with one 1/4 inch hole drilled half an inch from the bottom, and a large plant saucer. I adapted that as I had a 5 gal w permanently attached lid and a 2 inch pour spout with cap. (it held aqueous silicone, non toxic and I rinsed it well.) Drilled 1 hole, set it in an oversized plant pot, opened spout cap and filled it up. Just rinsed the whole thing out with bleach water yesterday to clean bucket and bowl in case of contamination. Total construction time - 10 minutes. Total material cost - free, the bucket was used for work and the planter had been sitting around empty for a year or 2.

I'll post a pic when I have time to take one. Oh, since my plant pot is rounded, when the bucket gets low it tips to one side, so I can see from the house that they are low on water.

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
  7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:these ones work great! I've used them both.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I use the Homer home depot bucket with four nipples on the bottom (bought from qc supply). We built a PVC feeder as well - cheap and easy!

9. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Love to see some pix to go with these. I am getting to that point in my project.
    Birds go out in 2 weeks. My nipples arrived today...

10. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Iv got some great ideas and being the picture snapping fiend that I am I'll probably come back on Monday with some visuals [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by