Does the flu vaccine being advertised really work for my geese?

• Yes, try the vaccine it should help protect your geese.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the vaccine will make your geese sick.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whiskey the goose

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2018
Southern California
Hello from sunny southern california.
I volunteer at a local animal shelter and I am aware that the Newcastle dieses Is reported back in our neighborhood. I remember last time we saw it in town it killed off all birds in town. None were spared, it was something out of a horror movie. I have an 7 month old African & a 5 month old Buff goose.
My question is does the flu vaccine being advertised really work for my geese?

The Vaccine is not 100% effective and needs to be given repeatedly. Just make sure if officials are asking to test your birds and you've given them the vaccine, that you let them know before testing.

If you can find a vaccine it may help, but depending on the strain of disease it may not. Waterfowl are less susceptible to Newcastle.

Here's the latest news I can find. And here's another one that says it's made it's way into at least 1 commercial operation.

Are you concerned about it in NC?

I guess the key continues to be good biosecurity and notifying the authorities if the disease is detected in a bird. From the first article:

In addition to practicing good biosecurity, all bird owners should report sick birds or unusual bird deaths to state/federal officials either through their state veterinarian or USDA’s toll-free number at 1-866-536-7593.

Last edited:
Since VND can be transmitted and carried by several common types of birds what's to stop the most prolific of species from spreading it from sea to shinning sea? Sparrows, Pigeons, Starlings, even all the wild parrots up and down our CA coast are susceptible/carriers. AND I see Pigeons on the list-for-no-movement. If these wild birds are passing through our flocks (drinking/eating amongst poultry), how do we truly contain?
I'm curious to know if we (backyard chicken folk) are the biggest impact on this disease. I would have thought production and perhaps illegal cock fights were ground zero?
I, too, believe that the live virus vaccination yields a higher probability of defense.

120 days incident-free will lift the ban. :-( the numbers don't look good.

https://animalplace.org/keep-birds-safe-from-virulent-newcastle-disease/

I'm not a scientist so I can speak only about myself.

My chickens are in an enclosed run with a sturdy roof Nothing goes in and out but me. I don't know what happens elsewhere but here I feel pretty good about my chickens' chances of staying healthy.

I was lucky to get a rooster entirely by mistake before vND hit. I'll be able to incubate my own chicks. Still, I have a mixed variety flock and I look forward to when I can have some interesting varieties again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom