Virus passed through eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tjkdlhb, May 6, 2017.

1. tjkdlhb

tjkdlhb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2015
    One of my hens is broody (silkie). I've arranged to get some fertile eggs for her to sit on, however I just learned that my source has a chicken sick with a respiratory issue. My flock has been healthy so far. Should I be concerned about the eggs possibly contaminating my flock?

If I need to find another source, how long do I reasonably have before the hen isn't broody anymore?

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If it were me I would find another source, unless you know for sure what is causing the respiratory symptoms. Mycoplasmas, which are a common cause of respiratory illness, can be transmitted vertically (through the egg).

I have had silkies and Cochins try to brood for what seems forever. I've never been concerned that they will stop being broody. My concern has always been that they will lose too much condition by insisting on trying to hatch pine shavings for weeks. If you can find another source of eggs within a week or so I think you will be okay. Just make sure your broody gets up to dust bathe and eat.

3. tjkdlhb

tjkdlhb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2015
    Thank you! I'll look for someone else to get eggs from!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by