1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Visceral gout

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LipsChicks, Mar 11, 2015.

1. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I had two chickens die last week and I didn't want to lose my flock so I took them to a diagnostic lab for testing. Today they told me the rooster had visceral gout. I feed them all Layena pellets and about once a day whole corn for a snack. Occasionally they get table scraps. Is this just something that sometimes happens to chickens? They don't have results back on the hen yet but apparently she didn't have the gout.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickensAreSweet

I have read before that *too* high protein diets can be blamed for gout;however, gout is not directly caused by the high protein diet necessarily. In other words it can be associated with it but not necessarily caused by it. So there are chickens all over the world on a high protein diet and don't get gout, and then others do. The link describes other possible causes.

The diet you were feeding sounds wonderful.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. ChickensAreSweet

edited...found a better link:
    http:[email protected][email protected][email protected]/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf
    see pg 15
    GRAPHIC PHOTOS

1 person likes this.
  5. LipsChicks

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    Thanks for taking the time to send me the posts! The purina rep. said that it might be too much calcium in the diet which makes sense to me. I didn't know that I shouldn't feed layer pellets across the board to all of my chickens.i was also sprinkling oyster shells into the feed so it was too much.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Visceral gout is one of many symptoms of renal failure damage to liver/kidneys. Lack of Vitamin A caused by feeding too much scratch grains or poorly formulated feed, bacterial or fungal infections in the intestinal tract, excessive amounts of vitamin D, obstruction of the urinary tract from internal laying or a large egg that cannot pass, and also blood parasites such as certain microscopic worms and protozoa. All of those are potentially greater causes of visceral gout than free choice of calcium.

A few words to consider with chickens; avoid feed mills which appear on FDA recall lists. Always have fresh drinking water available and keep it high enough to prevent it from getting fouled. Don't feed birds on the ground (use clean troughs). Supplement poultry vitamins-electrolytes 2-3 times a week.Supplement water with a good quality probiotic dispersible powder 1x a week.

Deworm birds before moult and before Spring egg production. Don't let stagnant water remain in poultry yards/ maintain good drainage. Keep roosts for heavy breeds no more than 18" off the floor and provide a thick layer of pine shavings (good quality shavings don't have splinters). When birds are entering moult, supplement with a quality moult supplement such as Avio-Moult or Pre-Molt 100. Boosting crude protein levels on inactive birds will increase the risk of fatty liver disease. There are very good kidney/liver cleanse/support supplements such as Lewerstim which are beneficial to older birds during moult. Always consult with manufacturer labels directions.

Check birds regularly for ectoparasites, and that they are not underweight. Check droppings under roosts each morning with a bright head lamp to see they are tight and formed, not watery or containing excessive mucous. Keep droppings picked up under roosts. A long handled small rake and dog crap scoop works well.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChickensAreSweet

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Viceral gout can also be caused by dehydration.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yup. I get hen pecked every so often for tossing out a half gallon of water out of the drinkers at the end of the day. Better for them to have too much clean drinking water all day long, than not enough.

10. LipsChicks

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    i appreciate you guys taking the time to send info. I don't think you've read my original couple of posts. They have access to water at all times and I feed purina feed. Dehydration is not a problem, nor is poor feed. I was, however, feeding the wrong type of feed. My chickens were getting too much calcium and I've remedied that. Thanks so much for your concern!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by